Fusing pictures side by side

Hi Id like to learn how to put two pictures side by side and create a mutual ground between them so it doesnt look like such a blunt transition. Here are two pics

Homer.jpgAeroAdvantage.jpg

Heres what I did so far, I resized them to match their height then i created a new doc that fits both their length. Copy and pasted them side by side. I thought I could use the blur tool but it did next to nothing in terms of helping the transition.

Please give me a step by step on how to make a nice blend in the middle. I would appreciate if you dont skip any obvious steps or terms since I have very little experience with Paint.net. Thanks for your help in advance!

Take a look at this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2756

But instead of using the same image with different coloring, use two different ones.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

edit: gurrssin blur then...↓

motion blur at the place were they connect?

edit 2: heres the example from me .. its not so good but just wanted to show, is this what you mean ?

um, how do you do that? how do you select one section like that to blur it? i think i've tried to do something like that before, but it ends up selecting the entire picture, and therefore, makes the entire thing look blurry. :?

Ok Salu I tried those two blurs and they definitely look better than what i had but there is still a blatant transition between the blurred and non blurred parts even in your image. Is there a tool or effect that I can use to gradually diminish this obviousness?

David I saw that tutorial before couldnt really follow it.