Lossless File Types and Uses

Just out of interest i was wondering what the best file type is to save high quality images as. If you could answer the questions mentioned below or lead me to a website that sums it all up i would greatly appreciate this.

1) What is the difference between .jpg, .bmp, .tif, .png, .gif, .hdp, .pdn ? (all at highest quality possible in PDN)

2) Which one can be edited numerous times without loss of image clarity, quality and file size?

3) Positives and negative of any of the file types mentioned above.

Could you please clear this up for me as i have heard many +ve an -ve arguments on all of them and i would like to know your opinion on all of them, which ones you most commonly use and what you use them for.

If you have any more questions you would like to ask just reply to the post as well.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

Hey, Geoff - that thread should answer all of your questions. But please note that the rules thread says that polls are only allowed in the Overflow.

:-) Just thought you should know. Should probably take it down.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Edit: David was faster... :)

*shrug* see the sig... ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.