How can I make a vignette?

I don't know what everything is called yet because it's been a while since I've used photo editing software. But I selected part of one picture with the ellipse select tool, then copied and pasted it into another picture. How do I make a blue around it? Just to make it look nicer? Hope I worded that question well. Let me know if you can. Thanks! PS, should I always use the ellipse tool?

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers

Firstly, please refrain from using generic titles (i.e. "HELP"), be a bit more specific (i.e. "Copy and Paste Problem", etc.). And I'm not sure I understand the question, what is this "blue" you want around what? Do you want a border?

I need to type faster...

At the time, I though you had wrote 'blur' as it seemed more fitting, although slap me if I'm wrong. So here's my advice for blurring a selection...

You can choose a multitude of methods to do this, two of which including, but not restricted to:

- feathering -- accomplished by a effect plugin which you can find using Search; and...

- Gaussian blurring -- a built-in effect (Effects > Blurs > Gaussian Blur).

For both to work effectively, you must have the new portion of the image (the one to be blurred) on a new layer. If you require help with layers, check the Help Documents on layers here: http://www.getpaint.net/...LayersAndBlendModes.html; http://www.getpaint.net/...LayersWindow.html.

Hope this helps.

Also, CommanderSozo is correct, the Rules dictate that your topic title be more descriptive, heed his words.

Somehow I typed the wrong subject line, becuase I didn't mean to type "how can I make a vignette". It must have been from a previous post i made.

Anyway, see the cross that I put in the below picture? The cross is from another picture. I used the ellipse tool and copied and pasted it in. My question is, how can I make the edge of that cross look faded? ... anyone know what I mean? Sorry if it's not too specific but I don't really know what the effect is called.

EarlyJanuary007edited.jpg

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers