Layers in a gif

I have searched the forum and didn't find any information on the way that paint.net handles layers in a gif file. It appears that paint.net "flattens" the image when you save a layered image. I have other software that supports the layers in the gif format and allows you to save the image with multiple layers.

I tried to load images that I know have more than one layer, and I only get one of the layers. Did I miss something?

Thanks

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -Isaac Asimov

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Also, I'm not sure what program you're using, but GIF does not support layers. It supports frames, but it does not support stacked layers the way the .PDN format does.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

David:

I'm using LViewPro which allows me to edit "layers" in a GIF89a file. It allows for animations (yes, I understand that paint.net doesn't support animation) by having different images on each "layer" and allows them to be displayed in sequence and looped if desired.

Maybe the LViewPro isn't using the right term for what it is calling a layer but it appears to me that the end result is the same.

Thanks

Jerry

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -Isaac Asimov

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

It sounds like it's doing frames; Rick has stated that Paint.NET will never be an animation editor, if I recall correctly. It's just not what the program is built for.

Maybe a plugin author could code one that saves layers as individual GIFs, or as frames in an animated GIF...but I certainly couldn't. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It sounds like it's doing frames; Rick has stated that Paint.NET will never be an animation editor, if I recall correctly. It's just not what the program is built for.

Maybe a plugin author could code one that saves layers as individual GIFs, or as frames in an animated GIF...but I certainly couldn't. :-)

Hmm... That would be awesome 8) , a plug-in that could save each layer as a frame...

Maybe the LViewPro isn't using the right term for what it is calling a layer but it appears to me that the end result is the same.

That's not a layer, it's a frame. LViewPro is using incorrect terminology.

I could, but I'm not going to. GIF is dying (I hope). Maybe when APNG or a comparable format really starts to gain momentum...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I can't see animated gif dying anytime soon or even just normal gifs. Look at how long it took MS to fix the PNG support in IE to support transparency. It will be like if/when JPEG makes the new format based upon HD Photo. The photography industry might jump on it but it will take a while to become popular (although not as long as PNG).