Grids

Like I said, I'm new...I apologize. But I have no idea what I'm doing here, so maybe stop being anal and help me instead.

I barely even know what a plug in is let alone how to apply it. I'm an actual painter that works from aneasel with real paint and brushes. Not a graphic artist. I'm trying to learn and you scolding me isn't going to help!

Hello, deaque. I will explain things as clearly as possible; remember, I do not know how experienced you are with computers, so I will assume that you are new to them, as you imply. Please do not be offended if I am wrong.

A plugin is an installable bit of information that allows you to do a certain action on your command.

Paint.NET's plugins consist of a simple .dll file, which only needs to be placed in the correct folder to work.

Most plugins are contained in a zipped folder. It is similar to a normal folder, but needs to be 'Extracted'. Anyway, let's get started.

1. [*:cd785]First, click
this link, and download the file.
[*:cd785]Close Paint.NET, if you have it open.
[*:cd785]Now, unless you changed your individual setting, the file should be visible on your desktop. It will have a little zipper running up the front. Right-click it.
[*:cd785]One of the options in the menu should be 'Extract All...'. Click this.
[*:cd785]The Extraction Wizard will appear. Don't bother with any of the options, simply click 'Next', 'Next', and 'Finish'.
[*:cd785]Now a window should appear showing the contents of the extracted folder.
[*:cd785]Click Start on your task bar, and open 'My Computer' in a new window.
[*:cd785]If you followed the standard installation of Paint.NET:
  • [*:cd785]Click '(C:)'
    [*:cd785]Then 'Program Files'
    [*:cd785]Find and double-click 'Paint.NET'
    [*:cd785]And lastly, a folder that says 'Effects'.

[*:cd785]Drag and drop the contents of the extracted folder we dealt with earlier into the 'Effects' folder.

[*:cd785]That's it! You have just installed a plugin. Close all of the windows, and open Paint.NET.

[*:cd785]Click on the Effects tab located at the top menu.

[*:cd785]Hover over the 'Render' sub-menu, there you should see 'Grid/Checkerboard Maker...' Click on it.

[*:cd785]You can learn a little about how to use the effect here.

Enjoy!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Always glad to help. ;)

Feel free to ask for help if you need it!

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

1. [*:f24b3]Notice the small window to the bottom left that says 'Colors'. Click on the 'More >>' button.
    [*:f24b3]There is a Drop-down menu at the top left of the colors window, it should say 'Primary'. If it says 'Secondary', select 'Primary'.
    [*:f24b3]Select whatever color you want the grid to be (black is usually best).
    [*:f24b3]Now change the drop-down menu to say 'Secondary'
    [*:f24b3]It doesn't matter what the Secondary color is; white is fine.
    [*:f24b3]At the bottom right of the window you will see a slider that says 'Transparency-Alpha'. Drag the slider all the way to the left until the counter says '0' (or just type '0' into the counter)
    [*:f24b3]Okay, moving on. Now find the little window that says 'Layers' (should be on the bottom right).
    [*:f24b3]Click the farthest bottom left button on that window, or press the key-stroke (Ctrl)+(Shift)+(N). This will add a new layer to your image.
    [*:f24b3]Now run the Grid/Checkerboard Maker to your desired settings.

More on the Color window: (Link)

More on Layers: (Link)

More on the Layers window: (Link)

Like I said, I'm new...I apologize. But I have no idea what I'm doing here, so maybe stop being anal and help me instead.

I barely even know what a plug in is let alone how to apply it. I'm an actual painter that works from aneasel with real paint and brushes. Not a graphic artist. I'm trying to learn and you scolding me isn't going to help!

I don't want to dredge up the past, but I do want to point out that Hitman and Divine were not, in fact, being anal. They were trying to keep your thread from being locked. The moderators on this forum are very serious about keeping it running smoothly, and due to a huge workload will often lock a thread that breaks rules without any warning. So Hitman and Divine weren't being mean, they were being kind. Hope you understand :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.