Outline fonts?

I don't think this is the same thing. A rep from the display company told me that this "outline fonts" feature of Photoshop does not actually create a visible outline or border on the text in the image, it simply "informs" the program that the fonts in the image are actually text entries, not just image graphics, so when the image is closed and loaded again, Photoshop recognizes fonts and renders them as vectors, rather than as rasters like the "graphic" part of the image.

Michael

So, better asked, your question is:

"Can Paint.NET save part of my image (text, specifically) as vector data, instead of raster data?"

The answer to that (as of the latest version) is "nope". Paint.NET presently only natively works on raster images. Once you save your image, the file format stores that data (and some info about blending modes), and that's it.

Not to say it won't happen sometime in the future, but when that might be is a question for Rick to answer (and I don't think he's worked out the "when" yet).

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

The best and simplest way to get around this is to simply put the text on an unflattened layer and save the file in .PDN format. It preserves the text by itself without deleting any information beneath it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The best and simplest way to get around this is to simply put the text on an unflattened layer and save the file in .PDN format. It preserves the text by itself without deleting any information beneath it.

True, unless you expect to be able to edit the text later as if you had just opened the text tool (which seems to be part of the answer brown705 is looking for).

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Point granted. But since there's literally no way to do that, the best workaround is to just keep the text easy to get to. :-) If you have a specific set of effects or adjustments to apply to it repeatedly, Pyrochild's Scriptlab plugin could accomplish it. For now.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.