Drawing lines

Hi I am a new user to Paint and am playing with the features to see what it can do. I have somehow lost the ability to draw lines and curves.I get the nubs but with invisable lines. also I want to have a picture 'stand out' from its background. I have read the tutorial by Spongey437 and would like further help from someone to further explain working with layers. Looking forward to recieving help

It is possible that your Primary color (the color used to draw the lines) is the same as the color of your background.

While you still have the nubs active, click on the color box on the top-left in the Colors window and click and drag around the color wheel. This will change the color of the line and should make it appear for you.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hi again Crazy Dan I have had another look. I can "select a rectangle " ( or other shape)in the tools menu but can't form a rectangle or other shape even though the pointer is visible. Does this help or can you understand what I am saying?

Hmmm.. That's odd.

Second guess: Are you drawing on the top layer? If you have painted on a new layer, then try to draw a line on a layer below it, the line will be hidden by the contents of the upper layer but the nubs would be visible.

If you could, please take a screenshot of your window while this bug is in effect, then post it here so we can take a look at it. and see just what may be going wrong.

Moved to Bugs & Troubleshooting

~ Becoming the Archetype

Alrighty then. In light of this, it's most probable that wither Ben or BoltBait were correct. In case this happens again:

The slider to which Ben drew an arrow up there is the Alpha slider for your color. If you set this to 0, the color will be invisible. If you try drawing with an invisible color, you naturally won't see anything. This value is not persisted between application sessions, so closing and reopening may have reset it for you, allowing you to see the line.

BoltBait pointed to the possibility of an active selection outside of which you may have been attempting to draw. Selections limit the area of the image you are able to draw upon dynamically, so a line drawn outside of the selection boundary would not be visible. These also are not stored between sessions, so closing and reopening would remove this possibility.

Glad it's workin' for you again!

~ Becoming the Archetype