Allowing Paint.NET to update through a firewall...

See, I'm kind of an idiot, and I started using the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security in Windows Vista. Great firewall, I'm really impressed with it and happy that Microsoft has bundled a really flexible and powerful firewall with their operating system. It was a long time coming. Great firewall, don't get me wrong.

But I'm somewhat stuck now. I really don't know how to... uh... stop using that firewall (so if anyone could help me in that respect, that'd be great). Anyways, I need to create a rule to allow Paint.NET to update so that I don't have to deactivate my firewall to do it. What executable is responsible for Paint.NET update. :D

Photobucket - Blog

Newest Film: Beowulf (Feel free to PM me comments, criticisms)

I do believe that Paint.NET sends a request to a text file somewhere on the PDN website and checks if there is a newer version available to the one being used at that time. If there is, it downloads.

As for the firewall trouble, isn't there an exceptions dialog in the firewall configuration, like near the 'on/off' switch?

Not really. I need to know the specific executable that handles Paint.NET updating -- because the firewall I'm using (Windows Firewall with Advanced Security -- there's a difference between that and just plain Windows Firewall) doesn't prompt me when a program tries to access the internet. So I need to know the executable that tries to access -- so that I can create a rule that will permit it through every time -- rather than having to turn my firewall on and off every time (it's an annoyingly slow firewall).

Incidentally, does anyone know how to reset the firewall?

Photobucket - Blog

I don't believe the Windows Firewall (WF) will nag you about programs that are doing outbound traffic like the simple HTTP GET that Paint.NET is doing. If Paint.NET is unable to update, it won't be because of WF unless you specifically blocked it. And it's just PaintDotNet.exe that does the update check, there's no separate EXE.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Sorry, Rick. :D

And no, the standard Windows Firewall (WF) and Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (WFWAS) are quite different. I'm pretty sure the WFWAS implicitly denies anything that isn't explicitly permitted in the rule list. It doesn't just have an "Exceptions" tab. It's definitely blocking it -- but now that I know the specific .exe that it uses -- I can let it through. :)

Thanks!

Photobucket - Blog