Weird problem

This happened back when the latest version came out, but I still have not seen any complaints about it, so I decided to complain about it myself. I will try to be as helpful as possible to everyone here so that we can work together to solve it.

Upon loading Paint.net, it asked me if I would like to install 3.08. Of course, I said yes. This was the last time that Paint.net worked for me. It said something about missing some file that was supposed to have been located in the Staging folder. The name of this file is PaintDotNet_673333360.msi.

Now onto the parts that I know.

I have uninstalled all old versions completely. at first it refused to uninstall from add/remove hardware, so I resorted to taking it out from the registry. I found every key that was related to Paint.NET. Currently there is not a trace of it in my system, not even association files.

My .NET Framework is not the problem. To make sure, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still no dice. If anyone knows of a fix for this, I appreciate any help, since Paint.NET is the only "high quality" image editing program that I know how to use proficiently. Without it, all I can do is sprite in Paint. :(

Download the utility in the following topic:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=854

And delete the first item in the list named '(no user) no name'.

Next try reinstalling Paint.NET.

as for these items is "noname" , the reason is you delete their informations in REGEDIT.so windows installer cleanup utility cannt find this name:"paint.net".

how to fix:

select "(all user)no name" and click "Remove" to delete all this noname items.

then rerun the Paint.net setup.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The error occurs fairly close to the end of installation. Then it begins to search for PaintDotNet_673333360.msi in the folder Staging. I believe it's an installation package. The error that appears says that it cannot find that file in the folder, and wants me to specify another location. Of course, there is no other location where this is, so I cannot give it one. So I press cancel, and it gives me the same wind. Pressing cancel one more time tells me about the file that is missing and it's name.

Hothgorn, could you try the utility I linked in a previous post instead of manually tweak the registry yourself?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I restored my registry to before I did all the removing to it (I always make a backup) and used the tool you linked to to get rid of it. It seems to be working fine now, it takes me all the way up to the window that says it is optimizing for performance on my system... it's taking it a while to get off of that, but I suppose that's natural.

EDIT: Works fine. Thanks guys.