Weird Save Quirk?

I was editing a bunch of pictures recently and when I went into my picture folder to look over the ones I'd completed. I noticed several of my pictures thumbnails looked like they did before I had edited them. Afraid that I hadn't saved my changes I clicked on them. The windows picture viewer showed them correctly with the changes. I refreshed the page, restarted my PC, opened and re-saved them. Yet the thumbnails continued to show no change... :?

After much trail and error I figured out that if I reopened the picture with PaintNet and saved it as a bitmap file, closed it, reopened it and then re-saved it as a JPEG file. That the thumbnail would then show the changes that had been made. :shock:

I have run into that several times since and for the life of me I can't figure out why it sometimes does that. If its something I'm doing or not doing. It's more annoying then troublesome as I know how to fix it. However I would sure like to know why its doing that.

Has anyone else come across this? Or know why or how that is happening?

Actually, Tom noticed this a long time ago and filed a bug on it but we haven't fixed it. It's hasn't really been a high enough priority issue.

I think what's happening is that some software or devices prepare and embed a thumbnail into the image. Paint.NET simply preserves that thumbnail just like it does with any other generic EXIF metadata.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Actually, Tom noticed this a long time ago and filed a bug on it but we haven't fixed it. It's hasn't really been a high enough priority issue.

I think what's happening is that some software or devices prepare and embed a thumbnail into the image. Paint.NET simply preserves that thumbnail just like it does with any other generic EXIF metadata.

Before I figured out how to fix it I would have argued that its annoying enough to be top priority, however since it only takes a couple of extra steps to fix I can see why it would be low on the priority list. :wink:

Anyway, Thank you, that explanation makes a lot of sense. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. It's good to know its nothing I'm doing. :roll: But then I'm such a newbie that I'm still trying to figure out what half of the functions do. (Thanks in part to the plug in downloading spree. LOL) :D

Oh and sorry about posting in the wrong area. :oops: