Installation failed and has ruined my computer

I am not exagerrating. I tried to install 3.05 and 3.07 and neither worked. Then, when I went to install other software, nothing would install because nothing can be written to the Windows Registry. Something in Paint.Net's install/uninstall program has made the registry read only so that NOTHING can write to it. Even Microsoft Update now cannot work. (It is NOT a user permissions thing).

How do I know it is Paint.NET that did this? Well, I thought it was the fault of a program that I tried to install after Paint.NET. I eventually decided to do a system restore to roll back to the day before I had the problem. After I did that, the second program worked - after asking me to input a registration code. Then, I tried to install 3.07 and boom! now I get the failed install, and it tells me that I need a certain MSI in the staging folder (but it's not there), and then after it all fails, sure enough, the Registry is once again locked and read only and NOTHING will install/unintsall or update. NOTHING.

Paint.NET has RUINED my machine. My restore points are gone, my registry is hosed, and I am facing the prospect of having to reinstall Windows.

For the live of G*D, please help.

rruff, clearly this is something that is system specific. As in your system.

No one else has reported this issue.

With hundreds of thousands of downloads under PdN's belt, you can be sure that someone else would have reported this if it was a problem with the "actual code that you use for your installs".

Something on your system is negatively affecting the installer.

If you really want help getting this working, you need to stop whining about all the questions we need to ask to get this working for you...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

The other program worked after I did the System Restore. Then I tried writing to the registry and that worked. Then I went to reinstall Paint.NET and that's when the install failed and the registry went into unwritable mode again. Now that Restore Point is gone and I cannot reapply it.

Yes, although I'm not sure it'll help unless you're well versed in C#, C++ / COM, Windows Installer (MSI), and registry manipulation. I wrote the code myself and there's nothing in there that mucks with registry permissions or settings: it's all simple and typical registry reading, key creation, and writing.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you for all of your help. I have downloaded the code. Yes, I am well versed on most of those things, and familiar enough with the other. A quick saerch/glance through the code supports your assertion that there is nothing in there that should be able to cause the problem. Hopefully, as I step through the code, the cause will become clear.

Have you considered a COM-free version with everything XCOPY deployable and XML config files? Just wondering.

Thanks.

The small amount of COM code in the installer (SetupNgen, actually) is necessary to be able to create the shortcut links. I was using some utility methods in some scripting engine DLL, but as it turns out a lot of security software blocks those DLL's for "security purposes" (uh huh.) and so it was causing a lot of installation failures (this was back in the v2.5 timeframe). XML config files are not something I plan on using -- for performance reasons I do not allow XML to be used on the startup code path for Paint.NET. As for XCOPY deployment, you can always install on to 1 system and then copy the files to another and it will work fine. However, you will not get the shell integration (thumbnails for *.PDN files), nor printing or scanning support. There is also some performance you will lose out on unless you manually use "ngen" on all the binaries.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hey people, a bit late replying here, but, for some reason some while ago I had the same problem after I installed IE7 Beta 2 and I then everything basicly was gone, restore points and stuff like that, well then I had to reinstall Windows...again....

sigxz6.png