Layer properties

The only art program I have ever used is MS Paint.Where can I find information about the layer properties ,and layers in general?I know I can learn them but the menu only names them and does not say anything about how they function. I have in the last year or so learned to make MS paint work for me but only on a monitor. Paint .Net will allow me to set the resolution and print the images I create. I draw with a mouse and have adapted well.I prefer it to a stylus.I will use Paint Net to draw and paint with like i used MS paint -not to manipulate images.If you want to see an example of the kind of stuff I do in MS Paint google Miashineon. It may help you tell me if I ven need bother with layers when I am drawing to print on canvas ,Gliclee) I definitely need to figure out how to create an image where black is drawn as transparent so I can upload it to cafe press..and for that like it or not I have to use layers. Thanks Mia Lucia

Well gee I was kind of diggin the Wikki article,Perhaps it is not a how to but even the bit I have read already there under layers explained some things I see on the interface..... I am definitely going to also go to the help menu again...armed this time with key board magic Thanks

Mia Lucia..