Using Paint.net pictures

Help! I've recently gotten Paint.net and I'm pretty good at making things. So I wanted to post something I made to Deviantart, but it said 'unknown file', or something! I've tried searching for tutorials but I know almost nothing about computers so a lot of the stuff looked like gibberish. And I've tried looking at some of the things already posted here, but it was just a thing on how to save pictures. Wow, thanks for nothing. =-= So, if anyone knows how to put a paint.net picture on something like deviantart, please tell me! Just don't make it a super long description of every little detail. I'll probably get lost half way through and have no idea what I'm doing. ;-;"

Any image you save for uploading to another forum or photo hosting website, needs to be saved as a .png bmp or .jpeg (jpg) file (or .gif for animations) a paint.net file format (.pdn) is a file format only recognised by paint.net.

So in short - for deviantart or any other internet hosting service - save a copy of your image as either .png / .bmp or .jpg (.png is the best format for image quality) Always keep your .pdn file incase you wish to edit it later.

Welcome to the forum too :)

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

So, I have to copy and paste what I made into something else like MS paint and upload it like that? Uh, okay! So, how do I copy the picture?

)also, do you know what the wand tool does? Sorry, totally random question. ^^"(

Hello. :)

You don't need to copy/paste or use MS paint. You just need to go up to the Menu Bar > File > Save As > and choose a format to save in.

You will want multiple copies of your image saved (copies, as in different format versions). It is suggested you always have a pdn. version of your image, as that is a format that will keep your image's layers. For using your image with other programs, or uploading it to the internet, you will want to re-save your image with a normal format, such as jpeg or png.

I often have a pdn version of my images, a png version (png is a good quality format), and a jpg version (this format saves things with a smaller file size).

If you need more help, try this tutorial http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12193-how-to-use-images-in-your-posts-signatures-and-avatars/

Explore the pages of the tutorial too, as people have added "How To" for other websites.

About the wand tool, I suggest you explore the online documentation. It is outdated, but it still covers some basics. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

Hello. :)

You don't need to copy/paste or use MS paint. You just need to go up to the Menu Bar > File > Save As > and choose a format to save in.

You will want multiple copies of your image saved (copies, as in different format versions). It is suggested you always have a pdn. version of your image, as that is a format that will keep your image's layers. For using your image with other programs, or uploading it to the internet, you will want to re-save your image with a normal format, such as jpeg or png.

I often have a pdn version of my images, a png version (png is a good quality format), and a jpg version (this format saves things with a smaller file size).

About the wand tool, I suggest you explore the online documentation. It is outdated, but it still covers some basics. http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html

Oh my gosh, that's so cool, thank you!!! I just tried it with a picture I did a while ago and it works. OMG, thank you so much, that is really cool~!! ^^ *glomps*

• Upvote 1