Myrddin

How to Use Images in Your Posts, Signatures, and Avatars

Myrddin    4

This will be quick and explain easily how to insert pictures into your posts, your signatures and your avatars.

This tutorial will explain how to do said steps using two popular image hosting sites, Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us. The steps are separated into General, Photobucket and ImageShack therefore which ever service you choose you can quickly reference the information needed.

General

1. After creating your piece of work save in a common file format such as *.png, *.jpg, *gif, etc. as Paint.NET's native file format (*.pdn) is not recognised by any other program or website other that Paint.NET.

2. Connected to the Internet, got to either Photobucket.com or Imageshack.us. Once there choose whether you wish to create a free account or upload there-and-then.

Photobucket

3. Once registered and signed in click 'Browse' and search for the file you wish to upload. Click Upload.

4. After uploading you have four different link options underneath the uploaded image, the useful ones are as follows:

Direct Link - this is what you use for avatars. In your Forum Profile, paste that link into the 'Link to off-site Avatar' field.

IMG Code - this line is used for using your image in a post and signatures, this will make the image appear full size in your reply and your signature block.

Thumbnail - for clickable or otherwise (when clicked it will send you off to the full size image) in your post, then select the desired image by it's adjacent tickbox, scroll to the bottom and find Generate HTML & IMG Code, and select the code within the third text box. You may generate code for more than one image at a time if you wish.

th_bitwierd-Usingimagecodes.png

ImageShack

5. Once registered (or not if you choose to go for an on-the-fly upload) click 'Upload Image' on the left under the Action heading and search for your desired file. If there is no other online modification to do click Upload.

6. Following the upload, click the small 'i' icon (info.gif) next to the thumbnail of your newly uploaded image. In the dialog that appears you have similar options to that of Photobucket, the useful ones are as follows:

Forums - this line is used for using your image in a post and signatures, this will make the image appear full size in your reply and your signature block. Highlight the top line and copy that into your post or appropriate Profile field.

Direct - this is what you use for avatars. In your Forum Profile, paste that link into the 'Link to off-site Avatar' field.

Thumbnail size, Forums - Use this line for if you wish a thumbnail of your image to appear in your post; once clicked it will take you to the full size version of the image. You will only want to untick the checkbox 'include details' if you do not wish for the date of the picture to appear in your post.

th_imageshack.png

Any other linking options from Photobucket or ImageShack are either not needed here or use HTML which can't be used in the Paint.NET Forums.

7. For posting your images, whilst in possession of your image's URL, simply insert it into a set of image tags, like so: i]

The closing tag must include the slash to denote the end of the command. Also, if you ever need a quick reminder of tag use, you can always hover your cursor over the relevant button above the field where you write your post reply.

For clarification or further reading of any BBCode used in this tutorial, do refer to the FAQ section, found here: faq.php?mode=bbcode

EDIT: added information on using the above codes for signatures, for some reason I missed that out despite it being one of three reasons for this tutorial.

EDIT 2: added instructions for the application of code within the post - so, as well as how to get there, it now details what to do with it.

EDIT 3: updated a few aspects of the tutorial.

EDIT 4: covering all edits from hereupon, usually for host-side updates to the process, additional information, or for tutorial re-formatting.

• Upvote 2

pyrochild    297
CMD sayz: Eeeww. This tutorial is sticky. :P

4 minutes. That's gotta be one of the fastest if not the fastest tutorial sticky on the forum.

:D

Hopefully now not so many people will ask how to do this... Hopefully.

Ben_R_R    2

Great Tutorial! :D

Hopefully now not so many people will ask how to do this... Hopefully.

Don't hold your breath, n00bs are n00bs after all.

Myrddin    4

No problemo. It was about time and I wondered why no-one hadn't done it before... At least though this might lessen the frequency of the question, I doubt it would eliminate it completely though, as the T_LH said, it's not like new users actually read sticky's or use the Search feature.

But at least now we'll have one dedicated link we can post along with our admonition to try becoming acquainted with the Search form, instead of having to actually try to use it ourselves to find the most recent posting. Man that thing's a pain... <_

MRavioli    0

yay! i feel better now! i only use the search form because i don't want to put 'sorry if this has already been posted'. and uh, of course, myrddins sig helps me along

Myrddin    4

Sorry to break it to you, but it's not showing, all we're seeing is a url link and that could be because you've missed a closing square bracket ( ] ) on your first URL tag. May I ask, was anything confusing or didn't seem to make sense? I only ask because although people are commenting on how it's good to have such a tutorial, is it usable and easily read and understood?

Thanks for your feedback.

EDIT: I've edited information in the tutorial for using said image codes for signatures, for some reason I missed that out despite it being one of three reasons for this tutorial.

Myrddin    4

Yes, take a look at this link which is taken from the Rules and pertains to this situation: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=24338#24338

You should have a close read at the Rules before posting anything else, just to familiarise yourself with them. You wouldn't want a moderator on your topic or post, would you.

Welcome to the forums and nice signature (albeit too wide :wink:).

Myrddin    4

Well now you do :D and thank you for resizing your signature. Again, welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay.

lylcoup    1

I'm not sure if you mean my sig doesn't show, because I can see it on the first page of this post, and I see it when I previewed this reply, and yes, although your tut is a godsend to those of us who just can't figure the "Pic, Avatar, and Sig" thing out, it doesn't clarify exactly what to do for sigs, so I just guessed until I figured it out.

For avatars, you show Where to put the info, and What info to put, but not with the sig. So I guessed, and I thought I had it right, so let me know if it's not showing up ok? And thank you for being so helpful to us noobs :lol:

lylcoup3.png

Myrddin    4

At the time when I noticed your signature wasn't showing, it wasn't and as for the missing information I edited that into the tutorial literally minutes after writing my post. I looked through it thinking something about signatures might not have been as clear as it should have been then realised there was nothing about signatures, hence edited.

lylcoup    1
At the time when I noticed your signature wasn't showing, it wasn't and as for the missing information I edited that into the tutorial literally minutes after writing my post. I looked through it thinking something about signatures might not have been as clear as it should have been then realised there was nothing about signatures, hence edited.

Ok, thank you I appreciate your help. I've never used photo editing software before, and for someone who hasn't had any experience in this field, it does seem intimidating at first, and complicated, but I'm learning that Paint.NET is an excellent choice, and everyone is very helpful. So, thanks again. :D

(I may be a newbie, but I'm a proud newbie!)

lylcoup3.png