spotlight glare removal

I have an awesome photo .......except that there was a spotlight pointing in my direction as I took it. The result is a glare.  Otherwise the pic is a classic chiaroscuro cityscape. 

I know it cannot be totally removed, but is there a way its effect can be reduced almost unnoticeably. I tried -Adjustments: brightness/contrast- but reducing either just created a grey blot with a distinct "border".

Is there another PAINT.NET trick of the trade similar to "redeye removal" that can disguise these glares please, because I am sure this comes up quite often? 

I attach a jpg file of a crop of the problem.

Thanx & regards
Will

You're not going to like this, but there isn't a program in the world that can save that picture. Your glare is so bright it makes a large part of the image totally white, essentially removing all image data at those spots. Your best bet is to retake the picture.

I did some testing, and my best results were with brightness and contrast set to -70 and +40, then reduce noise with 10 radius and .7 strength

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Actually, Noob, that was only a partial crop from the original. (There was a 'naturist' element I wasn't going to publicise here lol)

I had been trying to reduce the contrast, believing it would restrain the brightness. It never struck me that increasing the contrast would restrain the dazzle to within a short radius and deminimise the spread.
Then, when I applied your noise attributes it helped enormously. 

I knew it couldn't be "removed", but that has helped clarify the rest of the picture. 

Thanxalot Will

Thank you for your discretionary cropping.  :-)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ah. Well in that case, I'm glad to have been of help! :P

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Actually, Noob, that was only a partial crop from the original. (There was a 'naturist' element I wasn't going to publicise here lol)

I had been trying to reduce the contrast, believing it would restrain the brightness. It never struck me that increasing the contrast would restrain the dazzle to within a short radius and deminimise the spread.

Then, when I applied your noise attributes it helped enormously. 

I knew it couldn't be "removed", but that has helped clarify the rest of the picture. 

Thanxalot Will

The reduce noise plug-in is one of your best tools. Once you learn the radius strength. I always start with 10 and .40 and work from there.