Gradient dithering

So I was just working on another large image (3200x2400) when I ran into a problem: gradients don't look too hot at that size. Bands of color are visible, sometimes prominent. Quite frankly, it looks horrid.

For the most part, I use frosted glass to smooth out the gradients (the nature of the issue makes blurs counter-productive). However, if I want to keep the smooth edges around an object (with gradients I'm trying to smooth), frosted glass doesn't work out either, hence the request for dithered gradients.

So...any thoughts?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Maybe sometime after 4.0 is released. Maybe. With the new rendering system this can be done in a rather straightforward manner by using WIC's formater converters (e.g. render to 64-bit BGRA and then downsample to 32-bit BGRA w/ dithering), but performance might be troublesome (assuming WIC actually implements dithering for 64-bit BGRA -> 32-bit BGRA conversion).

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Cool. Thanks! :D

Sounds like 4.0 will totally be worth $800 (for a new computer)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo