How to make the same copied patter copied in different positions in circle

English is not my mother tongue, so I hope to make you understand what I mean (and I hope to understand your replies as well..).

I'm new with Paint.NET but I' only trying to create a logo for a project of mine.

This logo is composed by two things: the first one is the picture of the logo itself, than the second is the text part (which is not the hardest thing to do).

What I'm trying to do is, once have drown the "subject" (a light blue drop, in my case), to copy and paste it in order to have other four copies of the same drop, but moved and rotated to create something like a circle..

You can find the original logo I created attached. But I'm not really satisfied with it (this is also why I'm writing here!) =)

I'd like to re-create it and put the drops as in the attached logo....

Someone knows how to do it? Could you explain me how to reach that result?

Looking forward your replies ;)

Thank you very much and greetings from Italy!!! ;)

Fabrizio

post-89327-13320878628297_thumb.png

Make your light blue drop on a layer with a transparent background and slightly off center. Duplicate that layer 3 times so you have 4 layers plus the Background layer. Use Layers>Rotate/Zoom to move each duplicate to a new position. You can add another layer above Background with a grid or circle to align each layer's drop. Here is what I did by rotating 90º. The red paisley is the original.

MovingRepeatImage.jpg

Rotate/Zoom can be used to position an object outside of the original rotation using the Pan X and Y coordinates. It is best to work near the center of the canvas as rotation can move an object completely off the canvas if it is originally near the edge.

Edited by mindshift

Make your light blue drop on a layer with a transparent background and slightly off center. Duplicate that layer 3 times so you have 4 layers plus the Background layer. Use Layers>Rotate/Zoom to move each duplicate to a new position. You can add another layer above Background with a grid or circle to align each layer's drop. Here is what I did by rotating 90º.

Does it work only with 90º rotation?

It can work in 90 degree shifts.

Since you want to work with a radial repeating image I would suggest using Majik's Kaleidscope to help get the repeating pattern.

Make one layer to line things up using the line feature.

Below that layer postition the object and use the plugin on that corresponding wedge to repeat it around.

The example images from Majik will probably help explain why this will work. There is another version of this with angle controls that may offer a different result as well: Kaleidoscope

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Does it work only with 90º rotation?

If you opened the rotate/zoom window (ctrl+shift+z), you would see a box that says "angle." You can type any angle from -180 to 180 with precision to the hundredth of an angle. That said, if you wanted something that looks like your current logo, replace "90 degree" to "72 degree" in mindshift's little guide there.

EDIT: about the kaleidoscope plugin...if you have anything the crosses over a piece of the "pie," it gets cut out. So from the looks of it, your logo would be difficult to make using that plugin. It is still possible to do, but it would require more work than necessary because of how the individual objects overlap

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Here is a screen shot of the Rotate/Zoom window with the image below it.

RotateZoomWindowUsage.jpg

Use Angle to make the initial swing of each layer's object. Any angle can be used. I used 90º increments because it was fast and easy.

Use Pan to move the rotated object to it's final placement. You can go back and forth between the Angle and Pan until you have the object exactly where you want it.

Move each layer's object separately. NOTICE: the Rotate/Zoom window will be set to whatever numbers were used on the previous layer, and the next object will be immediately moved to that point. You can start there, and increase/decrease the degree of angle. This should be fine for your need. Or, click on the Reset button to return the next object to its original location.

Edited by mindshift

Oh thank you very much!!!! :D I did it!!! Yeah boltbait.cool.png

It was not so easy to play with all those layers (I think I used 7 layers - one for each "drop", one for the text part and one as a grid, plus one which had the fifth drop which I removed... - ), but I managed not to drive myself crazy, which is a good result boltbait.lol.png

Here attached there is the finished logo, let me know - you experts - what do you think about it.. boltbait.hmm.png

See you and thank you again!!!

post-89327-13321461252545_thumb.png