Font editor

Hi, I am new here, but have used Paint.net for about 2 years. I am not a graphic artist or artistic. But I use the program to create posters and printable material for the small church I pastor.

It would be immensely helpful if there was a way to edit the text after it is rendered. I have seen friends do this on other programs (PaintShop comes to mind). Is there a plug in for this? Is this planned for the future?

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by Liberty1611

Paint.Net draws text as a bitmap once you commit the text to the canvas. In basic terms this means that the text actually becomes a series of pixel groupings in the image, rather than a series of stored characters.

Once the text is in this pixel form, it is not editable except as pixels. Thus, text is not editable using the text tool once you have commited the text to the layer.

There is a workaround!

@Simon Brown created this plugin Editable Text. It allows you to use a layer as a "text layer" for storing text info. This makes the text editable, but the layer must be preserved solely for this function. Blurring the layer , for example, will destroy the text info.

If this plugin is not to your liking, the best method around is to store text in a word processor and copy & paste it into the text tool when you need it. This method works best if you devote a layer to the text. To edit the text, do so in your word processor, and copy it. Delete the old text from the layer then again paste the text when the text tool pdn35icons.TextToolIcon.png is active