How do I solve this back ground removal problem

I've used a "threshold" tool that comes with one of the plug-ins to blacken out backgrounds that I wanted removed from a photo.

The problem is that this doesn't work well or easily in general and I would appreciate help with techniques to deal with photos like the one attached.

In this photo, I want only the family/people without the back ground of the house (etc).

Thank you.

post-75464-128292251028_thumb.jpg

I've used a "threshold" tool that comes with one of the plug-ins to blacken out backgrounds that I wanted removed from a photo.

The problem is that this doesn't work well or easily in general and I would appreciate help with techniques to deal with photos like the one attached.

In this photo, I want only the family/people without the back ground of the house (etc).

Thank you.

It would be great to have a tool that removes backgrounds but as far as I know that does not exist. Using an eraser tool to make a halo then zooming in on your photo (400%+) to erase or paint pixels helps. Moving back and forth between 100% and 400%+ and making small adjustments helps.

Photographers often use a blue or green screen (or just plain background) to make it easier for removing backgrounds. The magic wand tool helps if you have stark contrast but in a photo like your example, I think you'll have some work to do.

Here is an example of using: zoom in/out, eraser (adjusting size), colour picker, paint brush (adjusting size)

examplebackgroundremova.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Zipit

There's usually more than one way of doing things.

I'd probably build a mask on a new (transparent) layer,

blocking out with black whatever I wanted to keep of the family group.

Maybe starting with a filled Lasso Selection and refining it from that.

Use the mask with the Alpha Mask Import plugin.

After the effect is applied to the family image,examining

the result will show whether the mask needs adjustments.

Adjust and repeat until it looks right.

It will be difficult to retain the natural appearance of the hair at the edges.

You can fake the hair strands at the edges using Smudge with a rough brush.

=====================================================

Whatever method you feel most comfortable with is the way to go.

It would be great to have a tool that removes backgrounds but as far as I know that does not exist. Using an eraser tool to make a halo then zooming in on your photo (400%+) to erase or paint pixels helps. Moving back and forth between 100% and 400%+ and making small adjustments helps.

Photographers often use a blue or green screen (or just plain background) to make it easier for removing backgrounds. The magic wand tool helps if you have stark contrast but in a photo like your example, I think you'll have some work to do.

Here is an example of using: zoom in/out, eraser (adjusting size), colour picker, paint brush (adjusting size)

examplebackgroundremova.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Zipit, is there a way to smooth/curve out the husbands left elbow? The picture was cropped there leaving a straight line at that location.