Somewhat odd menu appearance / behavior

Hi,

yes this is a nitpicky thing but hey it keeps bugging me for some reason so I thought I might post it.

The way the effects menu in PDN work is a bit "off" -- as you roll the mouse from one item to the next, the highlighted bar does not update the way a "normal" app does. It's a little hard to explain but if you try it you will definitely see what I mean. (compare to notepad or some other common windows app). I took a screenshot:

Sp7YR.png

What happens is like here I rolled onto Distort and "Blurs" stays highlighted for a moment- so its as if they are both selected. Then around ~1/2 second later the highlight on "Blurs" will disappear. It just looks klunky, I don't know if this is because PDN is using their own custom menu code or what. But, if there's any way to make it work normally it would be a nice fix. thanks!

Edited by luckman212

It MAY look like pdn is a slow application but this feature enables the user to be more freely with his mousemovements!

With other programs that do not have this kind of behaviour I sometimes get 'out of range' with the cursor and the sub-menu vanishes, which annoys me. Pdn doesn not suffer from this problem.

What a great idea!

It MAY look like pdn is a slow application but this feature enables the user to be more freely with his mousemovements!

With other programs that do not have this kind of behaviour I sometimes get 'out of range' with the cursor and the sub-menu vanishes, which annoys me. Pdn doesn not suffer from this problem.

What a great idea!

lol r u serious? anyway even if this was intentional... then why apply it to only that one menu?

lol r u serious? anyway even if this was intentional... then why apply it to only that one menu?

Every menu in Windows has the same delay behavior. I don't know how you're comparing this with Notepad, though. Notepad doesn't have any submenus at all.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

i'm not talking about the delay.

i'm talking about the way the menus highlight from one to the next as you mouse across them.

i guess its too hard to explain, so here's a video of a normal menu & then the effects menu... notice the double highlights on the effects menu

pdn.mp4

Edited by luckman212

I am not talking about the delay. The delay is fine.

I am talking about the fact that as you mouse over the menus, you have 2 menu items highlighted at the same time. This is not consistent GUI design that's all I'm saying.

look here's a video of a menu with submenus from a "normal" program (internet explorer), for comparison:

ie_menu.mp4

Edited by luckman212

As Sarkut said, one highlight shows which submenu is open, and one shows which one your mouse is over (hottrack).

I'm closing this now to prevent you from continuing to waste your time and ours by arguing over a completely mundane detail.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!