I think there should be a pencil select tool. Wouldn't that be helpful?

Honestly, I think that selecting with the existing select tools is all fine and dandy, in most situations. However, when you arent working with ovals/rectangles that line up with the pixel grid, it is a lot harder to select just what you want to make professional edits. Yes, i do know about the add function, but a pencil select would be very useful, as you could more easily select small groups of pixels, and get more presice with how you select. It's a pain to go up to the selection mode and pick subtract just to remove a few extra selected pixels just to switch back to add mode again, but with this tool, you only have to right click to deselect a few pixels. And to give an example, it would help a lot when you are taking text from one image and applying it directly to another. I have done this before with the existing tools, but doing it with the pencil select tool would decrease the amound of time spent doing so by a lot. At least answer the poll, and if you do give your opinion and it is slanted negatively, tell me why you think so, but either way you should tell me why.

Have you tried "Lasso Select" (Shortcut key: S) between the Rectangle and Ellipse selection tools?

I have. But it isnt the best. Besides, with small text fonts, it doesnt work very well.

I really only use it for straight lines that arent horizontal or vertical.

If you REALLY wanted to, you could use this tool to create a message on top of another as if the message was a bunch of tears scratched in the image.

It's a pain to go up to the selection mode and pick subtract just to remove a few extra selected pixels just to switch back to add mode again

Using Lasso select or one of the other selection tools:

Ctrl key down to add pixels.

Alt key down to subtract pixels.

At least answer the poll

Rule 21.

I agree that a proper pencil select tool should be added and it would be helpful , but until then I think the easiest way to make awkward selections that do not consist of ovals or rectangles is to use the line tool , start a new layer and trace around the area you want to work on. Then pick the Magic Wand and select it then move to the layer with the image on and do whatever you intended to do .

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

You could use a new top layer set to Additive.

Create a mask, adding clear area (black) with the left mouse button,

removing clear area (blocking with white) with the right button.

When done create the selection with Magic Wand.

Or simply use as an alpha mask if appropriate.

This method allows you to switch between mouse buttons to add or subtract.