Cleaning up dirt & smudges?

I'm working on fixing an old family photo that has a dirty smudge in several places on the right side. I've been able to fix scratches and small spots using the clone tool, but if I were to try to use clone tool on the smudge I would be obliterating a large portion of the original photo. Is there maybe a command or plugin for removing smudges?

I searched a bit in this forum and found a tutorial about how to take a nice, clean picture and make it look old, dirty, and scratched. I found that funny since I am working so hard to do the opposite!

--Paul

eph1v3t8,

If you can post a link to the actual image you are editing,

it will work towards getting the best suggestions to help.

(Full resolution file is best.)

Sure. I'm pretty sure all of the people in the photo are dead by now, so uploading shouldn't be a problem. Here's a link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2MHymbMj5mHZjU0Yjg3MTQtZTJlMy00NjJjLWJlOGYtM2Y2NWQwODQ3NGRm&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Thanks,

--Paul

The link goes to a page requiring a password, etc.

My apologies. I chose the Google Docs option that says "Anyone who has the link can access. No sign-in required." Strangely, a login *is* required and, when I log in and try to download the file, I get a 404 error. I should have tested that more carefully. I will try to get it uploaded to a more accessible place.

--Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on fixing an old family photo that has a dirty smudge in several places on the right side. I've been able to fix scratches and small spots using the clone tool, but if I were to try to use clone tool on the smudge I would be obliterating a large portion of the original photo. Is there maybe a command or plugin for removing smudges?

I searched a bit in this forum and found a tutorial about how to take a nice, clean picture and make it look old, dirty, and scratched. I found that funny since I am working so hard to do the opposite!

--Paul

I've made another attempt at uploading the photo, this time to ImageShack, at

http://yfrog.com/mdphotoxbj

in case anyone has a moment to take a look and offer some advice on how to clean it up.

Thanks,

--Paul