Visual Studio .NET problems after update to Paint.NET 3.5.1

After updating to Paint.NET 3.5.1, Visual Studio 2008 .NET SP1 would not load.

Error dialog on splash screen read: Microsoft Visual Studio cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application.

Fix was to rollback to the pre-install system restore check point.

Previous version was Paint.NET v3.5 (Final Release build 3.50.3596.41598)

Install was through prompt on start of Paint.NET, then selecting update at shut down.

VS.NET was open during the update.

OS Win XP SP 2.

VS.NET was open during the update.

Almost every installer in the history of ever says that you should close all other open programs before installing. Did you at least give this a try?

Fix was to rollback to the pre-install system restore check point.

Can you believe just the other day we had someone complaining that the system restore point was unnecessary and too time-consuming? ;)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Almost every installer in the history of ever says that you should close all other open programs before installing. Did you at least give this a try?

Fair point, they do. But, for example, the Office installer warns and stops you if you have something open that needs to be shut.

I haven't had a chance to do a reinstall of Paint.NET yet, as have too much VS.NET work on at the moment to risk any problems.

I'll post if I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Paint.NET uses Windows Installer.

Make sure that your Visual Studio installation is completely up-to-date, btw. There were some security updates that came out several months ago that were a little disruptive. It had to do with the Visual C++ runtimes (CRT, ATL, MFC).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I too had this problem this morning. I probably had VS open as I'm lazy like that I guess. Never had an issue with it before, but found a fix online today.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 3ad258a5af

"Hey guys, I too had this same issue, although I'm not sure what triggered it. Dependency Walker was telling me that dwmapi was missing (i'm running XP sp3) and getting that dll and putting in the lcoation it was telling me only made more errors. I finally found this thread, and started looking around the Windows directory and found that the atl90 dll was in fact missing in one of the four C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_ directories. "

So basically, find (hopefully) the atl90.dll file in one of the 4 C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_* directories and plop it into any of the remaining 4 that don't have it. That fixed it on my end anyway.