Line tool as an eraser?

Cutting out images is an obstacle most graphic designers come across at some point. In PDN, it's a tough, lengthy process when you're using the line tool, fill, then alpha mask technique that CMD made a tutorial for. The reason for that is that you can't see the changes live; you have to save the mask and then run the alpha mask plugin to see if the way you made your mask looks nice. Furthermore, filling the mask is often frustrating because often, small holes between the lines will cause the whole canvas to fill; fixing these leaks takes time, even when using the magic wand to find them. Additionally, drawing the lines on the layer where the image to cut out is is an easy mistake to make (I do it at least once every complex cut-out...). Alternatives to this method often leave quality behind. The only solution to this problem I can think of, is making a line eraser tool.

What the eraser is to the paintbrush, this new feature would be to the line tool. It would act the same way as the line tool with a fully transparent color and overwrite blending ( :OverwriteBlending: ) on, but with antialiased edges. Cut-outs would be done in real-time, filling the mask would no longer be a problem - using the round eraser would be fine since precision is no longer needed - and you can't make any layer mistakes because if you're not erasing the picture, then you're necessarily on the wrong layer.

Thanks for reading. :)

Cutting out images is an obstacle most graphic designers come across at some point. In PDN, it's a tough, lengthy process when you're using the line tool, fill, then alpha mask technique that CMD made a tutorial for. The reason for that is that you can't see the changes live; you have to save the mask and then run the alpha mask plugin to see if the way you made your mask looks nice. Furthermore, filling the mask is often frustrating because often, small holes between the lines will cause the whole canvas to fill; fixing these leaks takes time, even when using the magic wand to find them. Additionally, drawing the lines on the layer where the image to cut out is is an easy mistake to make (I do it at least once every complex cut-out...). Alternatives to this method often leave quality behind. The only solution to this problem I can think of, is making a line eraser tool.

What the eraser is to the paintbrush, this new feature would be to the line tool. It would act the same way as the line tool with a fully transparent color and overwrite blending ( :OverwriteBlending: ) on, but with antialiased edges. Cut-outs would be done in real-time, filling the mask would no longer be a problem - using the round eraser would be fine since precision is no longer needed - and you can't make any layer mistakes because if you're not erasing the picture, then you're necessarily on the wrong layer.

I have a solution that might work. Try setting the color opacity to 0, then set the blending to :OverwriteBlending: . I'm opening PDN at the moment to see if it works.

E: It works but it's aliased...

Thats exactly what I tried as well.

Blooper has a point. I think he has a good idea but it can build* on. We just need an easier and effective way to cut out images.

Edit: Try using a new layer and pic a smart blending mode, color, and opacity level. (on a dark picture use a light color with lighten blending mode with a fairly low opacity so you can see what your cutting out)

That might work for a basic way to cut out images

I have a solution that might work. Try setting the color opacity to 0, then set the blending to :OverwriteBlending: . I'm opening PDN at the moment to see if it works.

Blooper has a point. I think he has a good idea but it can build* on. We just need an easier and effective way to cut out images.

Edit: Try using a new layer and pic a smart blending mode, color, and opacity level. (on a dark picture use a light color with lighten blending mode with a fairly low opacity so you can see what your cutting out)