Checker Board Background?

When I transfer a section of pixels (to touch-up a photo), there is a checker board background left where the section was moved from. Is it possible to move a section and leave the original pixels in place? Such as; replacing a missing rail on a fence by moving a good section to that place while leaving the original rail alone.

Ctrl-C

Ctrl-V

;)

Oh man, that Ctrl-V does the trick! Just one other thing. When a section is copied, is there a way to rotate the section gradually, or is 90 & 180 degrees the only options? The "fence rail" may be on a different angle that the piece that I'm using to replace it with. Thanks for the Ctrl-V tip!!

Hold the right mouse button down and drag.

Another easy to follow tip. Thanks again. Please indulge in me asking for one more. I am getting the "Magic Wand" dotted lines every time I use the Crtl-V key. How can I disable the Magic Wand? It started that after I experimented with it. I've tried every way that I can think of, including closing the program without saving the image.

Select the rectangle select tool and right-click. I suggest reading the help files for more information. ;)

I appreciate your patience. I've almost burned out my eyeballs reading the HELP guide, but I guess I'll just have to play with it for a lifetime or so. Thanks again.