Any plugin or method to batch process white space width around product photos?

Hi guys. I hope I'm posting this in the rigth place.

I am adding product photos to my furniture website. On most photos, there is excessive white space around the image, and sometimes, there is little to none, so that the product image meets the edge. Is there an app that can both crop white space when there is too much and add white space when there is not enough (so that it is even all around? I will attach an example that I have done manually.

And probably a long shot, but would there be any way to further batch process additional modifications ie. to then turn the white space into a transparency, feather the image of the product, add an underlying white layer, and add a drop shadow to the image? Am I asking too much? It's so labor intensive and I have about over 1,000 images to go through.

If there is not a plugin for this, is there an app you would recommend? Thank you very much. 

PS. I uploaded the examples, but since the background of the text field is white, you can't see the border, but if you maybe right click the image and view it separately, you can see what I mean here.

before.jpgafter.jpg

Your best bet for batch processing is Irfanview. Paint.net is not designed for batch processing.

On 9/15/2024 at 3:30 PM, michaeleric76 said:

Is there an app that can both crop white space when there is too much and add white space when there is not enough (so that it is even all around?

And probably a long shot, but would there be any way to further batch process additional modifications ie. to then turn the white space into a transparency, feather the image of the product, add an underlying white layer, and add a drop shadow to the image?

@michaeleric76  Although IrfanView does have a batch mode and can auto-crop, it's not flexible enough for all this.

However, you can use ImageMagick.

For auto-cropping see: Trim, the 'Auto-Crop' Operator here https://usage.imagemagick.org/crop/#trim 

Using ImageMagick, you can build a pipeline that auto-crops your images, adds in the amount of white space you want, converts the background to transparency, adds a drop-shadow, etc.

There's a bit of a learning curve but the documentation is good and it's easy to experiment with each step as you build a pipeline. Definitely worth it if you have over 1,000 images to process.