Add colour to image that has a transparent background

Go to solution Solved by Ego Eram Reputo,

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Please assume newbie-ness if providing any instructions, thank you.

I have an image which is a logo and has a name and a bit of graphics in it. The background is grey and white checkerboard squares. Is this a transparent background? Either way, I want to add some colour behind the name and graphics. I tried adding a coloured layer but it just covers everything with the colour when I flatten it. If I change the opacity of the layer, you can still see the checkerboard through the colour. How do I add colour behind the name and graphics without losing any clarity?

Thanks.

Edited by rob88blue

• Solution
2 hours ago, rob88blue said:

Is this a transparent background?

Yes, this is how paint.net denotes transparency.

2 hours ago, rob88blue said:

How do I add colour behind the name and graphics

It's all to do with the position of the layers. Imagine layers are viewed from above in top-down order the same as presented in the Layers window. You're coloring a layer which is above the graphics, so what lies below is hidden. Try this:

1. Add a new layer with Ctrl + Shift + N or Layers > Add New Layer.
  2. In the Layers window, drag the new layer below the one with the graphic on it.
  3. Highlight the new layer in the layers window.
  4. Fill with whatever color you choose.

• Like 1

Hey thanks!

I came back to it just before seeing your solution and effectively did what you said. I made a new canvas with the colour I wanted, then added a layer, then imported the my logo from the Layers menu. That did it.

Cheers.

• rob88blue changed the title to Add colour to image that has a transparent background