Pdn file format

I know that the pdn files are the serialization of the .NET objects used in the program.
I would like to request that the necessary code be released to be able to read, at least in other .NET programs, the contents of the layers, so that we have a list of color matrices, one per layer.
What I would like to achieve is a function similar to

List<byte[,,]> ReadPdn(string filePath)

or

List<Color[,]> ReadPdn(string filePath)

the kind of summation of levels would also be useful, but I don't need it for my current purpose.

There is nothing official for this, and I won't be providing it.

However, for an upcoming major release (let's call it 6.0) I am planning on redoing/revamping the .PDN file format. I am hoping to include with this a public specification of the file format to better enable interoperability.

The new versions of Paint.NET will be able to open both the old and new .PDN format files, but old versions of Paint.NET will obviously not be able to open the new format.

This format revamp will then open the door for new features, e.g. higher bit-depth pixels, layer folders, etc. Right now the .PDN format is kludgy (it's based on .NET's binary object serialization) and not worth amending with these for various reasons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

However, for an upcoming major release (let's call it 6.0) I am planning on redoing/revamping the .PDN file format. I am hoping to include with this a public specification of the file format to better enable interoperability.

That seems exciting. I'd be able to make a batch conversion tool via G'MIC here. Hopefully, it's not too complicated.

G'MIC Filter Developer

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 1:12 AM, Reptillian said:

.ora standards changed

I have to use Krita to open them, but it seems a better buffer solution than animated GIf. I just couldn't find its structure.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:35 AM, Rick Brewster said:

layer folders

GOOD!