Same Font looks different in Different PDN documents

Go to solution Solved by Rick Brewster,

I loaded font "Alyssa Opti" on my PC, along with several similar fonts ... trying to pick the best "look" for a project.  I decided upon the Alyssa font, and tested it in a PDN document at several different point sizes, ranging from 2pt to 10pt.  It looked great as low as 4pt and was "useable" at 3pt but but not  at 2pt.  Frankly, I was surprised that it looked good at 4pt and useable at 3pt.  I was pleased.  All this in a test document 5000p by 6000p.  I ended up using 6pt to get the look that I wanted.

Then I started using the same font, at the same point size (6pt), in another (related) document, sized 8500p by 8500p.  It looks awful.  In fact, it looks almost identical to how it looked at 2pt in the smaller document.

What gives?

Thx.

Edited by HankP

Rick,

You are a genius.  The resolution on the two files were indeed different.  One at 96dpi and the other at 303dpi.  I have ZERO idea how that happened, because I KNOW that I did not consciously change one of them. As I recall, the 303dpi file started its life (about 50 revisions ago) as a downloaded roadmap, so the original author probably reset the resolution for printing purposes.

In any case, as soon as I set both files to the same resolution number, the font looked the same in both files.

Thanks so much!

Edited by HankP

TH,

Thanks for the idea.  Changing that toggle did not make any difference.  The font looked identical each way.  But I DO appreciate the input.  Sometimes trying a couple of possible solutions is the only way to troubleshoot a problem.

ETA: All that was in just the 96dpi file.  I went to the 303dpi file, and the font DID look different when I did that toggle. That makes sense, since it was applying the text at 96dpi either way on the 96dpi file ... one from the metadata and one from the "fixed" toggle.

It looks good on "Points" and not so good on "Fixed."  My guess is that if the file were set to a LOWER resolution (e.g. 48dpi), the "Fixed" would look better than the "Points," but I didn't bother to check it.

Thx again!

Edited by HankP
updated my own troubleshooting

Just one update, in case anyone else runs into this issue.  It IS possible to change the "default" setting on this toggle from "Points" to "Fixed" in the Settings.  It is found on the Tools tab, in the Text area of the page.

Thx again, guys!

• Upvote 1