fix cursor

On 12/29/2023 at 3:16 PM, mistyblueheart said:

my cursor in paint dot net looks like a plus sign or cross with a square block beside it and may be stuck in some tool mode?

You mean like the top one of these, or the bottom one?

Tool-icon.png

If it's the top one, then that's Rectangle Select. The bottom one is the Eraser.

It's not 'stuck' in a tool mode. One of the tools is always active. You choose that by selecting a tool. Each tool has its own icon.

I'm guessing that you are fairly new  to paint.net, so please take some time to read the Documentation. Click the :Help: Help icon, top right in paint.net

Look at the User Interface section and then all of the Tools sections.

Hello @mistyblueheart and welcome :) 

The cursor should be set by your Windows.  Did you perhaps change it on another program?

Perhaps read through this:  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/118628-cursor-size/?do=findComment&comment=586277 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

7 minutes ago, Pixey said:

The cursor should be set by your Windows

To be clear:

- When the cursor is over the canvas area in paint.net then the shape is set by the paint.net Tool that is active.

- When the cursor is over any non-canvas area (for example the toolbar, or any of the utility windows), then the shape and colour is set by Windows.

From paint.net 5.0.9 onwards, the size of the cursor, whether over a canvas or non-canvas area is set by Windows, in the setting for adjusting the mouse pointer size.

@mistyblueheart When you said 'stuck in a tool mode', are you implying that each time you start paint.net, the a particular tool (the Eraser) is being activated?

If this is the case, then you can change the default tool. See the documentation on Settings -> Tools here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SettingsDialog.html#4