feature request: allow multiple (up to 3) instances to run

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

I switched over from Windows Paint and Windows "Photos" (that !#@!#$!  UWP App 🤢) to Paint.NET to also use it to view images and compare them (using Alt-Tab a few times in succession, to overlay one image with another). Is there any reason behind the inability to run multiple instances? (There's no warning message with a reason why multiple instances are not allowed, when trying to launch more than one instance.)

Edited by AMD_Ryzen
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2023 at 12:36 AM, AMD_Ryzen said:

I switched over from Windows Paint and Windows "Photos" to Paint.NET to also use it to view images and compare them

Since you were unaware of the ability to switch images, and maybe even the ability to open multiple images Paint.NET, I'd urge you to take a look at the Documentation. It's comprehensive and very well written; you'll get so much more out of Paint.NET if you take the time to read it.

Click the Help :Help: icon top right in Paint.NET to access the Documentation.

See in particular User Interface | Main Window https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html

and User Interface | Image List  https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ImageList.html

1 hour ago, AMD_Ryzen said:

The issue is that Alt+Tab can be pressed a lot more comfortable than Ctrl+Tab (without the need of bending your left hand to the left by nearly 45°)

Huh?

Try this:

Put your left thumb on the left Ctrl key and your left index finger on the Tab key. No hand bending needed at all.

It's hardly any different from left thumb on the Alt key and left index finger on the Tab key.

In fact, it's just a small sideways movement of the thumb (without moving the hand at all) to switch between Alt and Ctrl.

Do you not use Ctrl+Tab to switch tabs in your browser?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 6:36 PM, Tactilis said:

left thumb on the left Ctrl key and your left index finger on the Tab key. No hand bending needed at all.

Could try, but with middlefinger on Tab instead.

It's hardly any different from left thumb on the Alt key and left index finger on the Tab key.

index finger on Tab key? I never thought of that. I always use the finger next to that or middlefinger.

Do you not use Ctrl+Tab to switch tabs in your browser?

In the browser, sometimes (most of the time I click the tabs). I don't use a browser though to compare 2-3 images with each other, I'm used to using 2-3 instances of dedicated image-software for that.

• 4 months later...

On 7/5/2023 at 1:56 AM, BoltBait said:

Why do you need multiple instances?  You can open multiple images in Paint.NET:

Because I want to look att two pictures at once. And edit two pictures at once. Have one window on each monitor. Like you can with almost every other programs. My current solution is to open GIMP on my second screen so I can look at and zoom two pictures at once.

Imagine if you had to start both Firefox and Edge if you wanted to look at 2 web pages at the same time side by side? That is how annoying it is to limit itself to one instance.

Imagine if you wanted to read one word document and write a new word document at the same time and you were not allowed to open two word documents side by side? That is how annoying it is to limit itself to one instance.

• Upvote 1