Paint.NET startup speed Store App

Go to solution Solved by Disk4mat,

Hi. I currently have the free Paint.NET version installed on a fast SSD, yet, sometimes, Paint.NET takes 4-5 seconds to startup (unlike Microsoft Paint, which always starts within 1 second.) Does the paid Microsoft Store App at least start up within 1-2 seconds (to be ready to be used within 2.00 seconds)? I need very fast startup times for productivity. Is there a way to request a refund of the Microsoft Store app in case it also takes longer than expected for startup?

• Solution

Many things could impact launch time...

If opening with an image (open with... Double click image etc) as opposed to not

Numerous 3rd party plugins installed

* AV software may be scanning the app on each launch. I would create an exclusion rule.

* AV software might be scanning plugins, again create an exclusion for the plugins folder

? Also you can opt to NOT check for new versions on startup Edit by Rick: HIGHLY advise against this. It will not affect startup time.

? Some apps check for updates only after fully loaded while others check during load. I dont know which scenario applies to PDN.

* PDN and its plugins in my opinion are safe and I see no need to scan them again and again. But this will be your preference.

Im running the old school install from the web site with an SSD and for me it opens in less than a second as I cant count to one. I trim my drive once every 7 days and have 2 plug-ins installed. Hopefully some of that info will help you.

Paint.NET's startup performance is very fast, but it will also be highly dependent on your CPU speed, disk speed, how many plugins you have installed, and your antivirus software. Also there's a big difference between "cold" start and "warm" start, which is after you've already started and exited it "recently enough" so that it's still cached in memory. Those 4-5 second times are likely just a cold start. It happens. If you have a lot of plugins installed, especially older ones, the first start after installing an update will also usually be slower.

On my Ryzen 7950X, it takes less than 1 second to start up, maybe 2 when cold and other stuff is going on. YMMV.

The Store version should not have any noticeable difference in startup speed versus the other versions of the app. If you need it to be faster, then you'll need a faster CPU or you can remove plugins (or run paintdotnet:/disablePlugins via the Run dialog). Having custom shapes installed can also impact startup time a bit.

Also, in general there are no refunds for purchases on the Microsoft Store. This is Microsoft's policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

10 hours ago, Disk4mat said:

If opening with an image (open with... Double click image etc) as opposed to not

* AV software may be scanning the app on each launch. I would create an exclusion rule.

? Also you can opt to NOT check for new versions on startup

Thanks! I think both AV exclusion and disable update-check on startup helped, I hadn't thought of it. I don't have any plugins installed. Now it starts within 1.00 second! 😀

9 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Also there's a big difference between "cold" start and "warm" start, which is after you've already started and exited it "recently enough" so that it's still cached in memory.

Thanks a lot!!! Yes I was under the same impression! Now that I applied @Disk4mat's steps, I will reboot my PC now to check the new difference in cold/warm start.

I was asking about MS Store app startup-speed as I noticed that especially MS store game-apps that I own, open up instantly after launch. (Or at least, a window instantly maximizes, then the content appears.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Disk4mat said:

? Also you can opt to NOT check for new versions on startup

? Some apps check for updates only after fully loaded while others check during load. I dont know which scenario applies to PDN.

Disabling the updater is NOT RECOMMENDED. It will have NO impact on startup performance.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Disabling the updater is NOT RECOMMENDED. It will have NO impact on startup performance.

Ok! Were there security issues in the past that had to be fixed with updates, or why not recommended?

And since Disk4Mat mentioned it, does Paint.NET check for updates only after fully loaded or during loading? 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

So, startup-speeds are the same (at 1 second, after my tests), but the one advantage of the Store app over the normal program appears to be program size! Store app only claims 212 MB storage (I just checked after purchasing) while the normal program claims over 100 MB more, at 340 MB! 🥳 awesome!!! So Microsoft Store apps seem to make some sense, after all. 😁 (apart from the very broken app-updater-logic in the entire Microsoft Store)

Edited by AMD_Ryzen

• 1 month later...

What I've found is that the download installers (say from the site or GitHub) are about 3x faster than the one in the Microsoft Store. Even with updates and plug-ins (I only use one plug-in... the ICO one) turned off. Almost instant with the web installer and 5 seconds with the paid for, Microsoft Store one. Odd. My test machines:
* Desktop: Self-built i9-12900K (16c/24t), 64GB DDR5 5200, 4TB Gen4 NVMe M.2, RTX 3080 10GB

* Laptop: Surface Laptop Studio i7-11370H, 32GB LPDDR4, 1TB SSD, RTX 3050 Ti

They are both pretty beefy machines.

Edited by VinnieDaArm

You might not get consistent results if you have both of them installed. The Store version starts up just as quickly as the Classic version for me, on a Ryzen 9 7950X.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg