What Blur Lets Me Define the Radius of the Central UNBLURRED Part?

I could swear I've successfully done this in the past, but I can't seem to make any of the current blur options do this. Essentially, I want to create the soft focus effect of a wide aperture photo (if I'm remembering my photog 101 correctly), such that I have a defined central area of focus, and then the blur extends out from there.

Like, does one of the tools create a donut effect of blur outside the variable inner ring?

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hello @WPMarketingComms and welcome to the forum :) 

One that springs to mind is Alpha Blur:  

The plugin package looks great, and the examples look helpful -- downloaded, installed, see your version in my menu...but nothing seems to happen when I start changing the values. I tried it both with the image as opened, and with the select tool. Nada. Am I missing some nuance here?

Thanks!!

19 hours ago, WPMarketingComms said:

I could swear I've successfully done this in the past, but I can't seem to make any of the current blur options do this. Essentially, I want to create the soft focus effect of a wide aperture photo (if I'm remembering my photog 101 correctly), such that I have a defined central area of focus, and then the blur extends out from there.

Like, does one of the tools create a donut effect of blur outside the variable inner ring?

Thanks.

What I would do is duplicate the original photograph layer and run the default Unfocus blur (assuming you are using Paint.NET 5.0.2). Then using the default gradient tool, change it to transparent mode and change to radial and see the photograph change with the gradient tool. 

7 hours ago, WPMarketingComms said:

I tried it both with the image as opened, and with the select tool. Nada. Am I missing some nuance here?

Center the image on a larger canvas than the photo.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.