Feature Request: porting Paint.net to WinUI3

Sorry, I don't understand.

A re-write of the app to winui 3, or of paint.net itself, was UWP a big re-write then?

But I do take your word, because now I think of it, it does seem like a huge overkill.

Edited by kevincrans

• 1 year later...

On 6/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, kevincrans said:

Sorry, I don't understand.

A re-write of the app to winui 3, or of paint.net itself, was UWP a big re-write then?

But I do take your word, because now I think of it, it does seem like a huge overkill.

@kevincrans, see https://stackoverflow.com/a/71701159/9731176 an explanation of why transferring from UWP XAML to WinUI3 would necessitate a rewrite - summarily, it's because the UWP and Windows App SDKs are both mutually exclusive application development frameworks, the 2nd of which WinUI3 is exclusive to. Consequently, all code would need to be rewritten to support Windows App SDK instead of the Universal Windows Platform SDK. Additionally, the conversion might not be 1:1, per https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/windows-app-sdk/migrate-to-windows-app-sdk/what-is-supported.

However, WinUI 2.7 supports UWP, and per

it still looks damn good and currently almost identical to WinUI3.

Regardless, I support this proposal, especially now that Paint uses XAML Islands for WinUI3 support.

Edited by Beedell, Roke Julian Lock.

Remember to tag me when responding to me in case I'm not subscribed to the thread.

Hi @Beedell, Roke Julian Lock. welcome to the forum.

You may not have realised but you have replied to a thread that is 18 months old. This thread is long dead. It should not have been revived.

Additionally kevincrans hasn't visited the forum for 18 months, so is unlikely to see your comment.

Please could you take a few minutes to read the Forum Rules - there's a link at the top of every page. Read them all but note in particular #11.