How to curve or bend an image in one dimension only?

Go to solution Solved by Pixey,

I want to take an existing image and "bend" or "curve" it along one dimension only. No three-dimensional distortion or warping - I'm not trying to make an image look like it's attached to a cylinder or cone or whatever. I'll attach a crude image displaying what I have in mind. In my example note that I want the x-axis values to be unchanged, and for only the y-axis values to be altered. Also, I want the distance of the blue line to the red line to remain consistent. Preferably the curvature would be as though it were an arc along the edge of a circle.

This seems like it would be a widely-needed feature but I have spent hours looking for some way to do this without success. Someone elsewhere suggested the Shape3d plugin but that seems to always introduce some distortion along the x-axis (unless I've overlooking something). GridWarp or WarpGrid (can't remember the exact name lol) almost works, but it introduces these little irregularities between the nodes that you drag - I need a neater final image. 

The fact that there seem to be solutions for more complicated tasks makes me think I may be overlooking something simple. Thanks for any advice!

hedgehog1.gif

• Solution

Hi @Hedgehog and welcome to the forum :)

Perhaps try this Plugin Image Distortion.

I used it to come up with this:

arc.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks Pixey! This will definitely work for my purposes!

For the edification of anybody reading this in the future who needs a similar solution I would note that the curvature performed by the Image Distortion plugin appears to follow a parabolic curve, rather than a circular one. I needed only a shallow bending, so the difference was minimal, but it could become noticeable if you're really stretching the image a long way.

• Thanks 1