Installation without Wave Browser?

I've been using Paint.Net for longer than I can remember (started with XP) and love it, and donate.  Just got a new Lenovo running WIndows 11, though my whole family pressed me to get an Apple, just so I could continue with Paint.net.   Took the thing out of its damned S Mode, installed Chrome, and first thing after installing Chrome and ensuring I have Gmail and Google Drive, I tried to download Paint.net.  But it seems impossible to do without changing my default web browser to  Wave.  I don't want that. All I want is Paint.net, not to mess with anything else.  Please. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

Thank you Bolt Bait.  Please note that both the getpaint.net and the dotpdn.com site seem to be overrun with fake "Start" and "Start Download" link images that would download the Wave browser from WaveSor Software - a malicious program (check the conversation about this on  Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/mlkwuj/wave_browser_by_wavesor_software/.)

There are three different "Start" link boxes that download the Wave browser on getpaint.net, and at least one "Start" link box on dotpdn.com.  They're like ads, but disguised to make site users think they're downloading paint.net -  "Wave browser" is mentioned only in much smaller print at the bottom. 

Please, get this junk off your sites!  And go after the bastards legally.  Hard to believe this is on your sites at all. How did it get past you?  Could someone on the inside be involved?

OK wait a minute.  I held up on sending this message for a while while I downloaded PicPick, because I wanted to include an image of the site page (attached) so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. And this same damn Wave Browser f"Start" link popped up on the PicPick download site too!  So either they've infested that too,or maybe it's just my computer that's infested with it somehow.  But as I said above, I'm using a brand new Lenovo, and I've only started running the computer since a bit after noon today.  Of course, there's the fact that it came with Windows 11 in S mode.  And the dire warnings from Microsoft that taking it out of S Mode (an irreversible process) would make Windows vulnerable to malware and glitches that they'd give me no help with.  After researching for a while, I took it out of S mode anyway this morning, mostly based on a PC World article that said the warnings were just normal Microsoft corporate scare tactics to keep people enslaved to the Microsoft Store. But wham, the first thing is this stupid Wave Browser on every download site I visit?  That's a damn fast infection by any malware.  It seems way more likely that it's out there, on your site as well as others.  

Just please check it out and do whatever you can from your end.  Thank you. 

wave1.png

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

That ad is loaded by the website from google ads. I see it too. If it's malicious it should be looked at.

Because of malicious ads and interstitial video ads on youtube I run the ublock extension. You can try using that (or adblock plus) to reduce the amount of dubious stuff. In the extension settings, you can even turn off everything except the "malicious ads list" (whatever it's actually called) if you want to only block the dangerous stuff and see the rest.

Even though it has nothing to do with your computer I also recommend reinstalling windows 10 at some point if the lenovo-specific things irritate you ever. It gets rid of a lot of junkola they include because they get kickbacks

Please, get this junk off your sites!  And go after the bastards legally.  Hard to believe this is on your sites at all. How did it get past you?  Could someone on the inside be involved?

Pretty much just the state of the internet world-wide. Can't do much about it, whack one mole and another pops up. People report ad abuse via google ads all the time but they will come again, and again, and again

Edited by NinthDesertDude