How do i do this black/white adjustment in paint.net?

DSB

Hello @DSB and Welcome to the forum :)

Well, it's a bit complicated and not something you can do without a bit of work.

I've made you a quick video - a simple one - to show you how it can be done.

You will need:

1.  Levels Plugin which is, I believe, already in paint.net and found under 'Adjustments'.

2.  You will have to learn to use this Plugin to make it animated or, if you have an outside .gif maker, you could use that.

3.  For a better and smoother transition, there is always this plugin for that.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

9 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hello @DSB and Welcome to the forum :)

Well, it's a bit complicated and not something you can do without a bit of work.

I've made you a quick video - a simple one - to show you how it can be done.

You will need:

1.  Levels Plugin which is, I believe, already in paint.net and found under 'Adjustments'.

2.  You will have to learn to use this Plugin to make it animated or, if you have an outside .gif maker, you could use that.

3.  For a better and smoother transition, there is always this plugin for that.

Omg i think i misled you hard. Sorry!

You see what the guy in the video is doing is that he is just setting the while and black levels and showing the two types.

This is used as a .png file in a game called Cities Skylines as a illumination texture https://cslmodding.info/asset/building/#illumination

So i dont need it animated. Thats the game's job. All i need is to set the black levels at 192 and white levels at either 255 or 128.

My issue is i dont know if i should use the input or output tab.

And if i use the output tab and set the black at 192 and white at 255, the slider is fine. but when i set the black at 192 and white below 192, both merge at 192. THATS what  i dont want.

Essentially my question is "do i need to use Output?" and "how to get the white level lower than black"

2 minutes ago, DSB said:

Essentially my question is "do i need to use Output?" and "how to get the white level lower than black"

I show you how to do that in the video :)

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

So, what you are aiming for is like a negative photo?  I don't think we have a plugin for that.  Another way wold be.

1. Have your image on a layer.

2.  With the Rectangle select :RectangleSelectTool: draw half way over the image.

3.  Make a new layer and fill it with a gray color.  Change the blending mode to Multiply and play with the opacity.

4.  Repeat 2 & 3 for the other half of the image.

gray-on-Multiply.png

30b8T8B.gif