[SOLVED] Version 4.2.5 freezes when opening or saving a file

I updated from 4.2 to 4.2.5 and now when I try to open an image file, the program freezes. The mouse cursor is a circle indicating "busy" state, but the file open dialogue window never opens. Eventually Windows indicates that the program is not responding and I close it. So, paint.net is pretty useless in its current state.

My computer is an old Toshiba laptop and the operating system is Windows 10 Pro version 1903 with the latest updates installed.

If you've been opening files off of a network share, this could be due to that network share/folder being unavailable for some reason. It takes a bit of time for the request to time out (maybe 60 seconds, IIRC?). This is just how Windows' standard Open dialog works.

This could also be due to a plugin loading problem. What happens if you open Settings? Does it also hang? Both the Open dialog and Settings will block (wait) for plugins to finish loading. 

The other reason this type of problem happens is because of buggy shell extensions. These are things that hook into the common Open/Save dialogs (well, Explorer really) to provide thumbnails for custom file types, and other things like OneDrive's little indicators for whether a file is local/remote. You might have one of these causing a problem, but I can't really give you a list of what to check for.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 11/14/2019 at 5:24 AM, HyReZ said:

What happens when you run Paint.NET as an administrator?
What happens if you run Paint.NET in 'safe-mode'?

I didn't bother to uninstall and reinstall yet. The software has worked fine for years before this version.
Running as an administrator didn't help.
I don't know how to run the program in safe-mode. Did you mean running Windows in safe-mode?

• Ksenom_O changed the title to Version 4.2.5 freezes when opening or saving a file
On 11/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, Rick Brewster said:

If you've been opening files off of a network share, this could be due to that network share/folder being unavailable for some reason. It takes a bit of time for the request to time out (maybe 60 seconds, IIRC?). This is just how Windows' standard Open dialog works.

This could also be due to a plugin loading problem. What happens if you open Settings? Does it also hang? Both the Open dialog and Settings will block (wait) for plugins to finish loading. 

The other reason this type of problem happens is because of buggy shell extensions. These are things that hook into the common Open/Save dialogs (well, Explorer really) to provide thumbnails for custom file types, and other things like OneDrive's little indicators for whether a file is local/remote. You might have one of these causing a problem, but I can't really give you a list of what to check for.

My computer is not connected to any network other than the internet.

I don't have any plug-ins. Settings opens just fine, it doesn't hang.

I have a few shell extensions, most notably 7-Zip, Attribute Changer, Avira, Dropbox, and QQ the Chinese instant messenger. I really wouldn't want to disable or uninstall any of these, just to get Paint.NET to work again.

17 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

I don't know how to run the program in safe-mode. Did you mean running Windows in safe-mode?

That is correct!
I did mean to run Windows in the safe-mode and then launch the Paint.NET app.

The next option from my point of view is to completely remove Paint.NET and then reinstall.
When you update Paint.NET it removes most of the the stuff inside the Paint.NET folder anyway so that you are suppose to get a clean install.

Maybe something was corrupted during the update. A reinstall takes only a few minutes. In a few minutes you will have more information at worst or a smoothly running application at best.

Edited by HyReZ

18 hours ago, Ksenom_O said:

Update: I can open an image file by using drag-and-drop, but saving doesn't work either. The program freezes and becomes unresponsive, just like when trying to open a file. 🙁

This, again, points to a problem with the Open/Save dialog, which points the finger at shell extensions. I told you this is probably caused by shell extensions, but you said you're unwilling to try disabling or uninstalling them to pinpoint the issue.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 11/16/2019 at 2:37 AM, HyReZ said:

I did mean to run Windows in the safe-mode and then launch the Paint.NET app.

The next option from my point of view is to completely remove Paint.NET and then reinstall.

Running Windows in safe-mode didn't help.
Complete uninstall and reinstall didn't help.
But the program actually works now, see my Update #2 below.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, Rick Brewster said:

This, again, points to a problem with the Open/Save dialog, which points the finger at shell extensions. I told you this is probably caused by shell extensions, but you said you're unwilling to try disabling or uninstalling them to pinpoint the issue.

This was not caused by shell extensions. See my Update #2 below.

Update #2: Windows Update installed the latest cumulative update for Microsoft .NET Framework today. Now the Open and Save dialogs work in paint.net as they should. Apparently, the bug or incompatibility was not in paint.net but in the .NET Framework. Thank you again, Microsoft, for giving problems and later the solution as well. 😏

Edited by Ksenom_O
  • Like 1

• Ksenom_O changed the title to [SOLVED] Version 4.2.5 freezes when opening or saving a file