How to Install Plugins ×

Polar Singularity

Xhin

Distort > Polar Singularity

This effect mirrors an image in an acorn-like shape towards a vanishing centerpoint. It feels very much like a polar inversion, but looks completely different.

The way the development of these are going, it might make sense soon to move this set of plugins out into a "Polar" menu. There's still a lot of untapped potential there.

ilghbmg.png

• Intensity -- determines the intensity of the effect. Higher settings are a lot more complicated-looking, with singularities that fill the screen and a lot more warping throughout.
  • Complexity -- Adjusts the amount of "sides" to the distortion without altering the complexity of the singularity. Useful for tweaking the look of a distortion.
  • Source Zoom -- Keeps the singularity settings the same but uses more or less of the source image. At lower settings the image will fill each "spoke" (or they might even be partials), at higher settings, the source image will repeat itself many times along the spoke.
  • Source Rotate -- Essentially rotates the orientation of each quadrant. You're reflecting the entire source image at any given time, so this mostly just determines the way the singularity looks internally.
  • Destination Zoom -- Zooms in or out of the rendered image.
  • Destination Pan -- Lets you move around the rendered image. Because of how my plugins work, the image is actually infinitely large so you the effect is quite smooth wherever you are.
  • Quality v0 -- a faked-out quality slider. Will be fixed when I fix it with the rest of my plugins. Development is somewhat slow at the moment, but I'm making progress.

Let's take a look at what the plugin does:

qElKylE.png

Here's a source image for comparison. Continuing the tradition of using Obama.

W5p1b1V.png

Here's what your default settings look like. Overall a pretty interesting effect.

EhGxLJm.png

ej5Eswe.png

Increasing and decreasing the Intensity setting, respectively.

lKiSm8j.png

With the default settings the same, decreasing the Complexity.

YlADB0f.png

This is what it looks like if you lower the Source Zoom -- note how the entire image is being mapped to each spoke now.

z8S2mWp.png

A bit of Source Rotation and a lot of Destination Zoom gets you a result like this -- when you zoom out a lot, the image gets a lot less complex and the original image shines through more.

9eSuN3g.png

This is the kind of thing you can get by altering the Destination Pan. Note how there are no wrap lines or anything, the image is what you'd expect it to be.

Still to do

• Releasing the source code, fixing the quality slider and other standard stuff for my plugins.
  • The intensity can apparently go negative with some interesting secondary effects. Because of how different this looked and how poorly it plays with the other sliders, it makes more sense to release those settings as a separate plugin.
  • Similarly, I need to explore in-zooms and out-zooms with much higher magnitudes. There's probably some interesting effects to find there.

Download Link

https://github.com/Xhin23/Paint.net-Plugins/blob/master/Polar_Singularity.dll

• Like 3

xhin.png

<3 @Xhin!

Thank you for sharing this with us! :cake: :coffee:

08-Oktober2019.png

*Sorry!I'll give you point tomorrow.

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png