Proper use of additional brushes

I have acquired several aditional brushes but almost none of them show up, and the ones that do do not work, in the brush factory or custom brushes min plugins i have added. I can only assume that they are in the wrong format to be used with paint.net. Some of them are gimp brushes and some are PS brushes and some are just .png files. I have read several posts on how to get them working, I've seen several posts that say these plugins will allow you to select these files I have and convert them but thats not working either.

What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum @Xathus Rowtha :)

You will need to convert any non .png brushes using the abrViewer.  You can read about it here.

You will need to put them into a Folder and be able to find them later, both for Custom mini and Brush Factory.

They can be found via here:

brushes.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

All of the brushes I have tried to use, or even add, will shop up in the "add brushes"dialog and will allow me to select them but they are never added to the list of custom brushes and nothing ever happens when I try to put them to use. Suggestions? The ability to see them in the dialog to add suggests that they are correct in extension but something fails after that point.

Hi @Xathus Rowtha.  Perhaps you are missing a step.  If you are seeing the brushes when you hit Add Brushes and select them, you must hit OK and they should drop into the right hand side panel.  If you are not seeing them in the Brushes folder afterwards, then they are being saved to another folder somewhere.

Brushes.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 years later...

Well it's two years later and I found this post by scouring for references to the Brush Factory plugin. At this point, you don't need to convert .abr files to .png unless Brush Factory itself complains when trying to load them. The plugin also doesn't read from any folder by default; you need to set the folder.
image.png.9a8247a600346a940973d4b24f45ed44.png
You can add multiple folders and/or brush files this way. When done, press save and brushes should load. Wish I saw this way back in 2018 when it was still relevant though.