Dose next time can add function, open 2 more files

morca67

It's called Multi Document Interface (MDI) and it's coming.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

They have just release version 2.6 one month ago... i think it's premature ask for 3 release....

I hope it will be released with more feature like text layer as photoshop text layer [with information of text, font, color, size... i think it isn't so hard to do, just save into layer information about text], open psd [really psd and save them compatible with photoshop, but this required text layer], MDI and maybe other new feature .

A release 3 with only the add of MDI isn't really a release for 3.0, i think [better for a 2.7 if it could be]... with the change of first number i think on a great change [and until now it's still possible to open two different paint net and work with 2 different image] :wink:

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

That 's very good to hear.

Do you have already plans when to release a 3.0 alpha release?

No planned release date at this time.

I hope it will be released with more feature like text layer as photoshop text layer [with information of text, font, color, size... i think it isn't so hard to do, just save into layer information about text]

Actually there'd be a lot of work involved in that, it hardly falls into the realm of "isn't so hard to do." !! :shock:

A release 3 with only the add of MDI isn't really a release for 3.0, i think [better for a 2.7 if it could be]... with the change of first number i think on a great change

MDI is actually an enormous change both to the user experience and the code base. It's easily worth the 3.0 distinction alone. I am also adding other features though, ones that I think will be really useful (layer masks and whatever).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I sayd that i think it isn't so hard because have one idea to how to this.

While using the file it's possible to use datatable [or something like this] to store information on text, while saving, i don't know how pdn file where made, but maybe something like a xml structure

for example

Digited Text String

Verdana
10px
normal
italic
no

10px
10px

Or something like this... maybe this could be so hard, i don't know how paint net layer work, and even how pdn format is

Sorry if it's my fault thinking that, it not my intention to say something that you don't like :roll:

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

Sorry if it's my fault thinking that, it not my intention to say something that you don't like

I'm just pointing out that something that seems to simple to use is not necessarily easy to implement. You're right that it's easy to store the data about "there is text here, in this font, this size, etc". It's even easy to render it, DrawString(...) or whatever. What increases the complexity is making sure the rest of Paint.NET can handle non-bitmap layers ... like disabling actions as appropriate, or how does Image->Resize handle text layers (esp. if "Maintain aspect ratio" is not checked), etc. Our PDN image format is generic enough to support just about anything, but the Paint.NET application is not.

Anyway please don't take my comment to mean "hey darknight, you're a jerk for saying that :evil:", it's more like a "whoa man, things are totally not that easy! ack, please don't expect that feature soon :!:" (I swear, the Internet is horrible for conveying emotion or lack thereof, eh?)

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

that's ok... but maybe i have a suggestion:

The layer will be like now [so graphical layer] but it mantain information on text.

It will be marked as text layers and contain information about layer.

On resize of image, or something like this, and on text change the layer will be redrawn again mantaining the same aspect as it was originally.

I take a look on photoshop and i try to add text and resize it... photoshop take the dimension of font and resize it .

So this could be made using a simple resize like

"old image width" : "new image width" = "old text size" : "X"

For effect's i don't know what happen....

i hope it could be helpfull :D

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

Resizing is not really a problem as long as both axes are resized by the same proportion, and also assuming that the rendering and glyph hinting result in completely proportional text in the resultant layer. In order to keep things readable, text renderers often space out the characters differently depending on the various properties of where its being rendered. We do not have an anamorphic text renderer, however, nor do we have one that is capable of rendering at fractional text coordinates for all smoothing modes (in v3.0 we will have "sharp" and "smooth" -- the 'sharp' mode only accepts integer coordinates). This becomes a problem when you do something like shrink the width to half, but double the height. You suddenly have the problem where you may have a fractional X coordinate (3 / 2 = 1.5), and the requirement of stretching on the Y axis. Nor do we have a text renderer that can render rotated text for all smoothing modes (Image -> Rotate)

And you have to handle all of these transformation case in general, which means I need a much more sophisticated text renderer, which is possible to do but just takes a whole lot of time. It unfortunately is not something whose requirements and intricacies can be summed up in one paragraph, even if the user experience can be ("yeah I just resize the layer"). And that is the nature of software! :idea:

(Heck, try this: Type some text at size 24. Now resize the image to 50%. Now type the same text nearby at size 12. It looks different!)

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg