Alpha Mask

I recently read a post about the old plugin, Alpha Mask. My computer has Norton 360 and it deleted the plugin because it was dangerous, but I was wondering if there is an updated version. If there is, could you tell me where the files go so I can make them work?

Thanks.

To clarify, I wanted to know what files go in what folders in the program folder PAINT.net

1) Norton 360 is absolutely rubbish. Symantec discontinued Norton 360 about 2 years ago. Just because Norton claims it's dangerous, doesn't mean it is. Get a proper A/V from a reputable vendor.

For fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ#t=28

2) There's a verbose guide for install plugins by @BoltBait: http://www.boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.php

3) Make sure you're not using plugins from the Megalo pack.

4) The Alpha Mask plugin can be found here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=1854

• Upvote 4

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Since you asked... I'll go a bit off topic.

I've never personally used Bitdefender. What do you think of it?

Norton has some issues which has made it notorious.

- It gives a ton of false positives.

- It tries to be things that it's not. A anti-malware program should do anti-malware stuff. I don't need it do back-ups, filter web content, ect.

- The whole thing is very bloated, which severally impacts your machine's performance.

- It has huge ads for renewals when the subscription expires. (this how it became widely used. Symantec paid OEMs to install it on new PCs. After 2 months the subscription would expire, and the users were scared into renewing with Symantec)

Obviously Norton/Symantec isn't the only one that is terrible. For example, the free version of AVG collects your web browsing history. Spyware built into an anti-malware solution; makes zero sense.

In my opinion, an anti-malware solution should just run in the background, and tell me when it thinks it has detected something bad.

The good news is that the need for a 3rd-party anti-malware solution is negligible in modern Windows versions; there's UAC, Defender, and hopefully a smart user who knows best-practices in regards to computer safety/security.

• Upvote 3

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I had Norton 360 and don't like it because of all the false positives and always popping up for some minor reason.

Now I have Bitdefender and I love it. It runs in the background and I don't even know it's there except for the weekly reports it offers me.