image from Clipboard problem

When loading an image from the clipboard, the order of preference that paint.net uses seems to be:

1) (Standard) Bitmap

2) DIB

3) PNG

In your case, you have both a Bitmap (no transparency) and DIBs (with some transparency)

More info here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/31799-selecting-a-format-from-the-clipboard/

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Interesting, my Fill from Clipboard plugin defaults to PNG format which does support alpha. I just tested it with an image on the clipboard and the alpha was pasted in just fine.

I suspect a problem with InsideClipboard. I don't think it is putting a "PNG" image on the clipboard and my plugin doesn't work with DIB format.

In my opinion, you have a better chance of getting InsideClipboard of putting a PNG image into the clipboard than you do having Rick change how paint.net handles getting images off the clipboard.

> When loading an image from the clipboard, the order of preference that paint.net uses seems to be:
> 1) (Standard) Bitmap
> 2) DIB
> 3) PNG

This order of preference is no good.

When I set clipboard:

index 1) PNG

index 2) CF_DIB

Paint.NET gets CF_DIB (and incorrectly shows image without alpha channel, even if it present).

The order of items in the clipboard should be respected or better types selected at first (PNG before CF_DIB before CF_BITMAP).

Can you add this logic to base code of Paint.NET (ctrl-v)?

Edited by bugzilla77

If you have control over what is put on the clipboard, only put PNG and paint.net will handle it properly.

(Or, put a PNG and your other formats on the clipboard and use my Fill from Clipboard plugin which processes in the order you suggested.)

Rick has stated in another thread (from a long time ago) his reasoning for the order he chooses to process what is on the clipboard. (I'm just too lazy to go find it.)

I doubt that Rick will be changing his clipboard code.