Selecting a format from the clipboard

When both a bitmap/dib image & a png image are in the clipboard, paint.net seems to prefers to load the bitmap over the png.

I have a program that adds a png image (for transparency), and also a bitmap/dib (for legacy programs). It works as expected; MS Paint loads the bitmap/dib, Gimp loads the png, LibreOffice loads the png, ect.... but paint.net loads the bitmap/dib even though it could load the png. (paint.net will load the png, if the bitmap/dib is not present).

Any chance this behavior will change, so that paint.net will still load the png from the clipboard when there is a bitmap present also?

Thanks for your consideration.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Some discussion in the troubleshooting section.

The latest regarding priority may be here

But SpiritLevel plugin can place the rotated image on the clipboard (PNG + CF_DIB format) and if you paste it to a new image then it seems to be that Paint.NET takes the PNG.

midoras signature.gif

Try my Effects > Fill > From Clipboard plugin. Which does it load?

The PNG. :)  I wouldn't want everyone using my program (that also uses paint.net) to have to use this plugin though.

But SpiritLevel plugin can place the rotated image on the clipboard (PNG + CF_DIB format) and if you paste it to a new image then it seems to be that Paint.NET takes the PNG.

Yeah, on the clipboard it looks like you do have the PNG & the DIB; with out a normal bitmap. When I use the .NET function to add a DIB to the clipboard, it also adds a normal bitmap as well. As a work around, I guess I'll just use the Win32 api to add it to the clipboard instead.

I would still like paint.net to choose the PNG over the bitmap. :D

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab