How to create the HYPERREAL Photo effects...HELP

Can anyone please tell me how to create the hyperreal sharpness effect...i found a article on how to do it with photoshop but i do not know how to do it with paint.net...i am new to this...and paint.net doesnt have the same effects as photoshop can somebody help me convert it

here is the article:

Hot Hyperreal Sharpness Effects - 6/2/08

You’ve seen this hip look everywhere. Now you can make it your own.

Print E-mail

By William Sawalich

This Article Features Photo Zoom

hyperreal

Fashionable trends make their way into all aspects of life—from clothing to television to music and art. The hot trend right now in photography seems to be a hyper-sharp look that’s everywhere in advertising and editorial. It’s tricky to describe, but it looks like a super-detailed, overly sharp image with extra detail in the shadows and what appears often as heightened grain. [To see examples, check out the work of Matthew Clark, Mitchell Funk and Gary Land in recent issues of PCPhoto and Digital Photo Pro.]

It’s a cool effect, and one that’s pretty digital-specific too. No matter how you shoot or process, this look comes straight from computer-based postproduction. Maybe that makes it one of the first major visual trends to stem directly from the digital revolution? Whatever the cause, the effect is simple: for now at least, it’s new, unique and fashionable. Why not stake a claim to your own version of this effect?

Some photographers utilize specialized software (Lucis Art and DxO Optics) that they further customize to create the enhanced-edge look, whereas others create their own complex combinations of adjustments and filters to create the look in versions from super-subtle to overly produced. Most photographers aren’t eager to reveal their practically patented secrets, so it’s up to adventurous photographers to find their own ways to make the look possible—with a little help from PCPhoto, that is.

First, as is always suggested, open Photoshop and duplicate the image onto a new layer to make for an easy reference of the original—and to ensure that no damage is done to the original image information. On that duplicate layer, perform Shadow/Highlight effects from the Image > Adjustments menu. This is where the bulk of the effect comes from—although this one step won’t do it all.

The catch with Shadow/Highlight is that it can be very subtle or quite dramatic as the mood strikes. Adjust the Shadow parameters until a relatively dramatic effect is achieved; it can always be toned down through layer opacity changes. I like an amount of about 50%, a width of 50% and a radius of 100. Under the Highlight parameters, adjust the amount to about 25%, the width and radius again to about 50. Tweaks to clipping, contrast and color correction will also produce instantly dramatic results. The key here is to make a major change from the original—and there's no doubt that subtle adjustments to these parameters translate into big changes in the finished picture.

Once the shot is sufficiently jazzed up in Shadow/Highlight, run the Sharpen Edges filter to enhance all that detail that the previous step brought out. Subtle sharpness changes can be made with any number of sharpening tools, but the Sharpen Edges effect is powerful for enhancing the detail that defines the edges of the subject—and that’s a key component to hyperreal sharpness.

Add noise to the modified layer to again bring out the grittiness and texture of the subject. I like a Gaussian distribution, probably around 1% or so—just enough to add texture without becoming too much of a distraction. After the noise is added, duplicate the layer again for additional edge-defining enhancements.

On the duplicated layer, run the High Pass filter from the Photoshop Filters menu. Choose a radius that provides significant edge detail throughout the subject—assuming you’d like all of those edges additionally sharp. (If you only want to further draw attention to specific parts of the image, adjust the radius until only those parts are visible. Alternatively, you can erase or mask the details out of this layer to prevent them from being overly sharp distractions.)

Now you’re looking at a gray image with only an outline of your subject. That’s okay, because after you set this High-Pass-modified layer’s mode to Overlay (found in the drop-down menu of the layers palette), you’ll see all that gray disappear, leaving only those extra-sharp edges. Toggle this layer, as well as the previously modified original layer, on and off to view the effects. Don’t hesitate to dial down a layer’s overall opacity, or even mask out or erase particular elements that are either too much or not enough.

In the end, the image you’re looking at is surely a hyperreal version of the original. Now it’s just a question of personal preference: for more dramatic changes, repeat the process and tweak the settings until you’re floored by the results. It’s not always the most flattering look for a portrait, but for shots that need a little extra grit, grime or uber-hip attitude, nothing says “fashionable” today more than this hypersharp processing effect.

• 11 months later...

there is an excellent sharpening plugin called Sharpen+ you can find in the plugin site.

I am a photoshop user and am looking at Paint.NET. It is the most frustrating thing. I always apply a high pass sharpen to my images and it was the first thing I went to try and do.

I was more than happy with Sharpen+, it can do a lot and would require some expertise to use it to its best. It is a pity that that the Photoshop Smart Sharpen is not as good.

If you think high pass sharpening is a problem, I dodge and burn my images using a layer with blending mode set to overlay and filled with 50% grey which I then use the paintbrush to paint black and white where needed. Could do it in Paint.NET if only there were some flow controls.

But its not a bad product for what it costs and makes you work harder at getting the desired result.

another message, oh well.

Just played around with an image while surfing something else.

Try being inventive, try using tools for things you wouldn't. Sometimes it works, other times you end up in a mess. And most importantly, ALWAYS work on a a duplicate layer with the original unselected in the click box.

With the working layer duplicate it. Next, on that layer find all edges. Using the Hue/Saturation tool or Black and White desaturate the layer. Double click the layer and change the blending mode to Color Burn, you will notice that you have exaggerated edges, simply reduce the opacity until you get the desired result. Bit messy but you can go in and out of the dialog, deselect the layer and note the result, then reselect the layer noting the result. You want to see an increase in sharpening without a halo effect (which in this case will be darkened edges).

This will work on an image that needs fine edge sharpening, which most photo's could use as a first step (I always apply a 0.3% Gaussian Blur after this then flatten all layers so I can then work the image)

There are probably some other creative ways of achieving a Fine Sharpen.

Enjoy

back once again.

This time I tried the emboss tool. On a duplicate layer use the emboss tool, play around with the direction until you get what you think is the best. You want the edge detail to be prominant.

Double click the layer and change the blending mode to Overlay and bring the opacity down to about 170, again you will have to play. as in the previous message.

Don't worry, I am going now to do some work.

Hey Royl,

Thanks for taking the time to try and help the thread creator, but we have a [rule=11]rule against Necroposting[/rule]. This thread was last active in June of last year, and the original poster hasn't checked back with this forum since, so there's no way he'll see your answers.

Thread Closed

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype