colorizing a black and white image

Hello d1th3r_d3v1l.

Well if the tutorial sabrown linked to is not what you are looking for, then how about the Pleasantville Effect instead:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4196&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Ordinarily, we'd point you to use Search, however this tutorial does have quite an obscure title, so we're lenient in such circumstances.

For the isolation of the elements of the image, I would also recommend either the Cutting Out tutorial or alpha masking (plugin | tutorial), but the former is a little quicker and more appropriate for this - although an alpha mask can be worth the extra effort.

Does this help you?

I believe he means adding colour to an image that was black and white, for instance, giving colour to a photo of a really old, black and white television show. I remember the tutorial, but neither the forum search nor searchpaint.net seems to be able to find it.

Yes, and the Pleasantville Effect can do just that: don't select your area then desaturate it, colour it instead. I chose that tutorial because it has the required principle for d1th3r_d3v1l's request, not because it's the exact answer, mainly as I don't think there is a tutorial with said exact solution.

Moreover, it's easier to link to a tutorial with the necessary steps than spend (read: waste) ten minutes writing the same thing over again with only one modification.

Yeah, the Pleasantville effect tutorial changes something from color, to black & white, however we want to go the opposite way here, and I'm not sure you really can.

Only thing I can think of at the moment (and it's still too early for me) is to select areas (whether it's lasso, magic wand, etc.) and apply your own colors and use blend modes to help achieve it.

If memory serves me right, someone had a skintones color palette on here; would require a search. Then use blending modes, or perhaps the soft brushes/blur dodge tut might help more.

Moreover, it's easier to link to a tutorial with the necessary steps than spend (read: waste) ten minutes writing the same thing over again with only one modification.

I have been looking through many tutorials but can only find ones that make black and white images.

I wouldnt be asking if i knew where to look.

I wouldnt be asking if i knew where to look.
I'm not striking your for asking neither. I was stating that it's easier to link to a tutorial with the all the needed details than re-write the tutorial out here.

Both the tutorials given by sabrown100 and myself are not the exact solution, but the methods employed by them can be applied here to this situation. In the case of the Pleasantville Effect, we all know it's to convert parts of a colour photograph to a black and white one, but it can work in reverse also, using the same cutting out of parts applying an adjustment to it - that is exactly what you need to do to colourise a black and white photograph.

However, after much searching I have found a tutorial more suitable: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2309&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a. (EDIT: just noticed your post Rubrica. Must be telepathy.)

After all this misunderstanding, it should have taught us that a tutorial's guidelines can be applied to other tasks as well, and that they don't necessarily have to be used for the exact purpose the tutorial opts for. So, whilst the Pleasantville Effect works for one thing, you can use the same technique for other jobs, too. Especially in the absence of an actual, written solution.

Can you see where sabrown and I were going with it?