How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop PSD file plugin (newest version: 2.5.0)

taoyue

The latest version of the PSD Plugin can be downloaded from: https://www.psdplugin.com/

The latest version of the plugin is 2.5.0, released on September 11, 2016 for Paint.NET 4.0.11 and above.

Please don't hesitate to email me if you encounter a PSD file that the plugin cannot read!  The more PSD files I can collect, the more corner cases can be worked out, and the more reliable the plugin will become. The PSD file format is complicated and incompletely documented, and is not always backwards-compatible when a new version of Photoshop is released.  Only with your help can I keep up with all the changes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Version 1.0.7 of the plugin has just been posted to Codeplex: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This release delivers further performance improvements over version 1.0.6. Specifically, loading is about 5x as fast, and saving is about 1.5x as fast as in the previous version.

Combined with the previous performance improvements, the plugin is now quite zippy. For example, converting a 2000x3000 test image with 7 layers on a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (64-bit Windows 7) takes:

• [*:1l6vo2io]With version 1.0.7, 1 second for loading, and 3 seconds for saving.
    [*:1l6vo2io]With version 1.0.4, 20 seconds for loading, and 37 seconds for saving. 1.0.4 was the last version of the plugin before development halted in 2007.

Note: these numbers do not include time spent on file I/O -- they measure only the time taken to convert between the PSD and Paint.NET representations of the image.

I now consider performance of the plugin to be more-or-less acceptable. A 7-layered 2000x3000 image is significantly larger than most images that I work with in Paint.NET. Moderate-sized PSD files with only a few layers can now be loaded and saved without noticeable delay.

The next major task will be to reduce the size of saved PSD files.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.5.0 of the plugin has been posted to Codeplex: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

As you can see by the jump in version number, I consider this to be a big deal. Please report any bugs that you discover through the Issue Tracker on the Codeplex project page.

The biggest improvement is that RLE compression now works fully on save. File sizes are now competitive with Photoshop's. Say goodbye to those 100 MB uncompressed PSD files; your files are now small enough to email. Files saved out by Photoshop are still smaller, since it uses a better compression algorithm. However, the difference is very slight in most cases.

RLE compression does take some additional CPU time to compute, approximately doubling the time it takes to save a file. To compensate, loading and saving have been parallelized at a coarse granularity. So a dual-core machine will perform as well as with version 1.0.7 of the plugin, while a quad-core machine will be faster, period. And since loading had already been incurring the RLE decompression hit, it gets a performance boost even on dual-core machines.

The parallelization is not perfect. The granularity is coarse, and some sequential segments remain. The intention is to improve the parallelization of the plugin after Paint.NET has been retargeted to the .NET Framework 4.0, which includes the Parallel Extensions. Paint.NET has historically remained quite close to the cutting edge of .NET Framework versions, so this should not take too long. The plugin is not the bottleneck for loading PSD files -- Paint.NET takes much longer to render the preview images for the individual layers -- during which the application is mostly unresponsive. Thus, there is no urgency to improve the parallelization.

Further performance improvements in this version, independent of the parallelization:

• [*:3jin6no7] Reduction in memory consumption when saving. Thanks to Rick Brewster for his suggestions on the code.
    [*:3jin6no7] CMYK files now load twice as fast.
    [*:3jin6no7] Lab files now load 3x as fast.

Brilliant, now I can edit those .psd files I got with the God Of War fansite pack. By the way, the newest version works really fast, not sure why you said it would be slow.

borderlandssig.jpg

"I'm attracted to you like the Earth is attracted to the Sun - with a large force inversely proportional to the distance squared."

My Gallery

You will not generally notice any delays until your images get very large. I test on images that take up half a gigabyte of memory in Paint.NET (and save out to 5 MB .PSDs). If you're working with small images with only a few layers, loading and saving will be basically instantaneous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Version 1.5.1 of the plugin has been posted to Codeplex: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

This version contains some bugfixes:

• Bitmap-mode images can now be loaded. Thanks to dhnc for filing the bug.
  • Plugin no longer crashes on files with user masks, or on certain RLE-compressed files. Thanks to Karl Barger for reporting the problem.
  • Unicode error fixed. Thanks to K9998 for contributing the patch.

• 2 months later...

Actually, an out-of-memory error should pop up an error message, rather than hanging at 95%. If you do the calculation (http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/337-crash-while-converting-pdn-to-jpg/page__view__findpost__p__890), you'll find that the file uses around 500 MB when loaded into memory.

This problem is caused by a regression introduced in version 1.5.1.

I've uploaded a new version 1.5.2 to Codeplex that fixes this problem. http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Edited by taoyue

Actually, an out-of-memory error should pop up an error message, rather than hanging at 95%. If you do the calculation (http://forums.getpai...indpost__p__890), you'll find that the file uses around 500 MB when loaded into memory.

This problem is caused by a regression introduced in version 1.5.1.

I've uploaded a new version 1.5.2 to Codeplex that fixes this problem. http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

thanks it works now... alittle slow...but it works thanks again guys

On my machine (quad-core, 3 GB RAM), the file loads in 3 seconds, then Paint.NET locks the UI for another 3 seconds rendering the layer previews. If it's taking a lot longer, then there's something else going on.

(On my machine, Photoshop takes 1.5 seconds to load the same file -- and then it doesn't lock up the UI rendering the previews. So that's about a 4x performance hit.)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I'm a new user from Paint.net and i'll open a (.eps) Encapsulated data, but with the plugin for Photoshop it not works.

maybe while this is an Adobe Data??

Wich plugin is availible to open a Encapsulated-data ?

Hallo an Alle,

ich bin ein neuer Paint.Net User, ich habe eine .eps Datei Postscript oder verschachtelte Postscript Datei die Datei komt aus Adobe und ich möchte mir diese Datei gerne mit Panint.Net öffnen,

gibt es ein Plug-in zum öffnen dieser Dateien?

i'm happy to hear from User

Björn

On my machine (quad-core, 3 GB RAM), the file loads in 3 seconds, then Paint.NET locks the UI for another 3 seconds rendering the layer previews. If it's taking a lot longer, then there's something else going on.

(On my machine, Photoshop takes 1.5 seconds to load the same file -- and then it doesn't lock up the UI rendering the previews. So that's about a 4x performance hit.)

each time i take off a layer... paint.net locks up....but then comes back after 10 secs........maybe i just have a crappy video card?.. i have 3g ram

each time i take off a layer... paint.net locks up....but then comes back after 10 secs........maybe i just have a crappy video card?.. i have 3g ram

This question really isn't related to the plugin -- it's a general question about general usage of Paint.NET.

Every time you remove a layer, Paint.NET will rerender the composite image. This is determined largely by your CPU speed, since you're evidently not running out of RAM. There's very little use of the GPU in Paint.NET.

On my machine, removing a layer on your image takes about half a second. These days, there is a very wide performance range among CPUs. In some circumstances, an Atom can run as much as 4x slower than a Core 2 Solo of the same clock speed.

• 1 month later...

Umm, I can't seem to get it to work... Unless there's something I'm missing? I put the dll in the filetypes folder and I loaded up PDN, but when I try to save my pdn as a psd, I don't see psd in the save as file type dropdown menu. Is that not the way I'm supposed to do it or what?

Edited by KazeHaruHime

Umm, I can't seem to get it to work... Unless there's something I'm missing? I put the dll in the filetypes folder and I loaded up PDN, but when I try to save my pdn as a pdf, I don't see psd in the save as file type dropdown menu. Is that not the way I'm supposed to do it or what?

Shows up as "Photoshop (*.psd)". No PDFs involved -- these are images, not articles.

Delete Photoshop.dll, reboot your machine, then download a fresh ZIP file and copy the DLL. Sometimes it's just something transient like open file handles or a corrupt download.

Edited by taoyue

Shows up as "Photoshop (*.psd)". No PDFs involved -- these are images, not articles.

Delete Photoshop.dll, reboot your machine, then download a fresh ZIP file and copy the DLL. Sometimes it's just something transient like open file handles or a corrupt download.

Oops, I meant psd, not pdf... *fail* *edits* And yeah, Photoshop (*.psd) isn't appearing so I'll try restarting when I get the chance.

Awesome plugin. I hope to not have to load Photoshop ever again for my slicing work.

I have a PSD file with layers (50+?) and when I open the file:

1) all of the layers are turned on (which is not the case when opening in Photoshop)

2) layers are not grouped

It makes it hard to know/understand which layers are for which pages (this designer made a big PSD with all pages designs, each page has grouped layers)

What can I do?

Also, is there a donation page? I would happily contribute $$$ for great code like this!

Awesome plugin. I hope to not have to load Photoshop ever again for my slicing work.

I have a PSD file with layers (50+?) and when I open the file:

1) all of the layers are turned on (which is not the case when opening in Photoshop)

2) layers are not grouped

It makes it hard to know/understand which layers are for which pages (this designer made a big PSD with all pages designs, each page has grouped layers)

What can I do?

Also, is there a donation page? I would happily contribute $$$ for great code like this!

The first problem is already tracked by bug 7084 on Codeplex. Since you mentioned it, I'll try and fix this earlier rather than later. http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/workitem/7084

Layer groups are more difficult. They are not documented in the PSD file format specification, so any implementation would have to rely on reverse-engineering. Plus, Paint.NET doesn't have a layer grouping feature.

If you just need to get the data out of this one file, you can download Photoshop from the Adobe web site and use it for 30 days. In the future, could you ask the designer to send you individual layers? There should be scripts that can do this.

If you need to interact with graphic designers often, though, you might have no choice than to pay for Photoshop -- although you might be able to get away with an older copy of Photoshop. You might also be able to get away with a copy of Photoshop Elements. Sometimes features are stripped out of Elements, so that you can't create files with those features -- but you can still load them in.

I have added a PayPal donation link to the Codeplex page for the project, near the top of the text: http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Edited by taoyue

• 1 month later...