Rotoscoping (Hints and/or a Tutorial Request)

A part-time newbie, still trying to get comfortable with PDN and graphics editing in general.

I've been intrigued with the rotoscope effect as seen in the Chas. Schwab TV Commercial; it looks like they colorized a live sequence, so that it almost appears to be hand-painted or hand-drawn. It's almost, but not quite, like a very well-done paint-by-numbers effect. For example, the various skin-tones don't blend, there are distinct edges between each tone -- except you don't see the paint-by-numbers lines.

I may be describing this completely wrong, and I don't know how to, nor have the capability of, screen grab off the telly. However, examples can be seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTsg9-JOogI. And there is always Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope.

I'm not looking to do animation, just applying the technique to still pix using PDN.

I first noticed this commercial around the same time as the post appeared requesting a tutorial for an "Allen & Ginter baseball card". That was a start in the right direction. I tried playing with that, taking it to the next level, but I don't get anywhere close.

I've also played with the various Artistic Effects, and get some interesting results, just not what I'm looking for.

Any hints, tips, tricks or pointers would be appreciated. And keep in mind that I am a newbie, and while I'm comfortable with playing with PDN and making mistakes, there's still so much I don't know, so assume I know nothing.

Thanks,

pdn-sig_01-2.png

Edit: Actually, there is already a plugin that should work: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22521.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked through that, but I don't see which of the effects that you're referring to. Making my own palette sounds complicated, and if you meant the Effects Lab I don't see how to make that work. The rest of that thread seems to be about the Equations effect, and I know you don't mean that for me!! :lol:

GeorgeB

pdn-sig_01-2.png