how do you paste an image but keep the size of the layer

What version of Paint.NET are you running?

Because when you paste an image that is bigger than the current canvas, a dialog should appear notifying you of this. You have three options to choose from: expand the canvas to the size of the incoming image; keep the original canvas size; or cancel the pasting operation.

If you wish to retain the canvas size, choose the appropriate option: keep the canvas size.

For an example of this dialog, take a look at this help page: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/EditMenu#Paste.

Does this help you?

One way to crop easily back to the same size is to create a new layer and fill it a colour that stands out (I use a horrendous pink, 'cause I ain't likely to use that anywhere intentionally. Anytime you need to return to the original image size, use magic wand to select somewhere in the resizing layer, then use "Crop to Selection" to return your image back to that size.

Obviously, you can simply import the image to a new layer, whatever the size is, resize the new layer appropriately (ie "move selected pixels", move nubs (handles) then do the above to return to original dimensions...

...well - that's what I do anyhooooooo :?

[img]http://www.geocities.com/gerry_satrapa/PDNsig.jpg[/img]

One reason for this is your first layer is set at 96 dpi. Your imported file is set at a larger dpi. The actual frame size is bigger than your first layer you created.

I am experiencing this problem right now. Sometimes Paint.Net ask me if I want to increase the present canvas size but not always. You need to crop what you are trying to import but if the dpi's don't match, are the same, your imported file will still be too large for what you started with.

To help with this situation create you first layer with the same dpi as what you are going to import. If you stretch or shrink graphics with your mouse, it will make your print outs blurry.

Changing the dpi's all to the same 300 dpi as a example, does not work either I found out if you are going to print the file later. It distorts the less quality files (ones that are already set at say 100 dpi).

I have not found a total solution to this problem yet but am working on it. You can take snapshot of graphic at full screen & save as new file but I have not been totally successful at times.

I have been somewhat successful at shrinking files by opening the file with Paint.Net, reducing window screen to say 15%, taking snapshot & saving file as new file.

Paint.Net is preset to 96 dpi unless you change that first layer thru the commands to something higher.

Hope this helps......

I do not know what your project is...mine is scrapbooking.

Something I just thought of is to:

import all the files that are of the same dpi. In my case, the background, photo frames & icons are all the same dpi. The actual digital photos is what is screwing me up. They are set at a higher dpi than the other files.

Print file,

scan print out. Not sure if all scanners will set the dpi at whatever you want it to be.

Use the scanned file if already set at say 300 dpi, then

open file with Paint.Net, import photos.

Save file or resave file.

Or second thing that comes to mind is after importing graphics of the same dpi size,

save file to hard drive,

open file with viewing pgm at full screen...so picture will fill up your screen.

take snapshot

open Paint.Net creating new layer, set your dpi,

now paste the snapshot into new layer.

This might work without printing file.

I hope this helps you with your project.

The key I have found, and this is just my own way of doing this, I'm not claiming to be a pro or anything, is to resize the image you want to import first.

If I have a 800 x 600 @ 96 canvas open and I want to put say a 1440 x 990 @ 300 drawing on a wall or table as a framed picture, well, I open the 1440 x 990 JPEG or PNG drawing (my current drawing is still open)

th_bfff07f1.jpg

and I resize "Drawing" not "Canvas". BUT, you have to think about how big or small it should be in the new drawing it's going to. Just for the sake of this example let's say we want our framed picture to be 200 wide in our 800 x 600 drawing.

So, I resize the 1440 x 990 @ 300 by clicking in the width box, making sure that "maintain aspect ration" box is selected, and enter 200. You will notice that the 300 stays the same and the print "size" changes. This is not important because we are not going to save it this way.

th_1d6e0a02.jpg

Hit OK and let it resize. Then go to "Edit - sselect all", "Edit (again) - Copy"

th_be77727e.jpg

Click on your 800 x 600 drawing to make it the active drawing and either go "Edit - Pastes" or make a new layer and then "Edit - Paste" the choice depends on what you want to do, I generally go with a new layer.

th_850748c4.jpg

Then, move it into position and add whatever else you have in mind.

th_127e4157.jpg

In this instance, the only loss would be to "Print Size" for the 1440 x 990 drawing. But, since we're not printing that drawing or even saving it in this current form, it doesn't matter. We haven't had t rescale it once wwe imported it, so there is no loss of quality.

Now, go back to the other drawing and close it out without saving, (unless you may want it again, then click save as and rename it.)

It's like taking a 300 res stamp and placing it on a 96 res envelope. Yes, when viewed or printed now it will be at the 96 res, but we have saved it's original 300 res quality and reduced the size to something that is still clear and crisp when put in a 96 res drawing.

I hope this helps. Like I said, it's just my way of doing it. Others may have a better one.

I am dealing with photos from digital camera. I have found by resizing, it effects the pixels which effects the printouts. The photos are blurred in other words when I print them later.

Background files are 100 dpi. I tried importing photos which are 200 dpi. The photos are off my original first layer & I have to shrink the photo to get photo to fit in that first layer. This effect the pixels causing the printout to be blurred.

In Paint.net, I do like the way I can open & work on 2 or more files at one time. This helps me crop one file & then go back to my first file & import the cropped & resaved file.

To PrettyDarnNeat:

I was curious in your method & decided to runs some test. It is a pretty neat way to crop a photo. Somelthing I had not thought of.

I used your method, saved file using 100 dpi, then printed file. I found it blew the pic up.

I took original file with 300 dpi & cropped file with the mouse & thru Paint.net & then printed the file.

Here are my results.

Btw, now I know how to blow up a pic which occationally I need to do, using your method.

14076_fd4ac8e3c728fbad051cebe2cc6905c4

Girls if you are interested I posted in the Tutorial forum how to do this. I ran several test in last week on best how to do this.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23605

Post subject: Photos - cropping without stretching or shrinking photo

Photos must be "cropped" has been my experience. The dpi's for both layer & imported photo must be the same. If photo's dpi is higher in value than your first layer you created, your photo will look too big for your first layer you created. So best to have the same dpi's in both files. Changing dpi of photo from 300 down to 100 dpi, will distort the photo. Best to make your first layer's dpi, same as dpi of photo.

I hope this has helpped both of you...