Questions regarding alpha channels

Does Paint.net have a specific alpha channel? Because when I go to open a DDS file (one with an alpha) all that will show up in PDN is the alpha channel, while actual image seems to have vanished.

This is rather frustrating, as it means I have to use a different program to grab the alpha off before I take the image into PDN, and then put it back on again after I'm done with it.

And if it isn't a feature, is there a Plugin that does this? I searched but came up with nothing definite.

Thanks.

The file probably is not giving correct format information. The DirectX Texture tool is showing it even worse than Paint.NET is. Anyhow, all the pixel information is still there. To view it, download my Curves+ plugin or BoltBait's Transparency plugin and use one or the other to set all the alpha values to the max.

Voila. The image should emerge.

I know nothing of the DDS file format, but it seems to me that this issue is being caused by a badly formatted file, and not Paint.NET. I could be wrong, though. Maybe Rick will know.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The only problem is, now the alpha levels are all the way high. That file that I gave you is a texture file for a game, and the alpha translates into shininess when ingame. Which means that the items that use that texture are now extremely shiny.

Hmm...

Alpha shouldn't be shininess... alpha is transparency. Period. Anything else, and the program is using it wrong. In any case, you can use Illnab's Alpha Mask Import in combination with BoltBait's Alpha to Gray(scale?) to export the existing alpha channel, then reimport it later after you've made whatever other modifications you want.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!